BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station Review
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you have ever wished you could have electricity wherever you go, without relying on the grid or noisy gas generators. A portable power station is one of the best solutions. They are devices that store electrical energy in an internal battery and can provide power to various products, such as phones, tablets, laptops, lights, fans and more. Portable powers stations are useful for camping, emergencies, outdoor work or anywhere you need electricity off the grid. Most of them can be charged using different sources, such as wall outlets, car adapters or solar panels. In this review, we will be taking a closer look at the EB70S Portable Power Station from BLUETTI to see what features it has and test it’s capability.
Unboxing the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station
The EB70S Portable Power Station is well packed in a double cardboard box with foam protection. It arrived in perfect condition. Included in the box is the EB70S power station, AC adapter, car charging cable, solar charging cable, the user manual and the warranty card. The EB70S came in with about a 60% charge on it and is ready to be used right out of the box. But as I do with most battery powered electronics, I gave it a full charge before use. Charging with the AC adapter yielded a 177 – 188 watt input and managed to top off the power station in about an hour and a half.
Build and Design of the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station
The BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station has a sleek and sturdy design. I went with the standard gray color, but the website shows three other available colors; blue, red and teal. There is a large handle on top for easy carrying. It has an easy to read LCD screen that shows the input wattage, output wattage, battery level and a few alert indicators. It has multiple ports and outlets for different types of devices, including four 110V AC outlets (two of which accommodate the three pronged ground style plugs), two 100W USB-C PD ports, two USB-A ports, two regulated 12V DC outputs, one 12V car port and a 15W wireless charging pad on top. It also has a built-in LED flashlight with three different modes; full brightness, half brightness and SOS for emergency use.
The BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station uses LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries, which are a type of lithium-ion battery that have several advantages over other battery types. They offer a longer cycle life, which means they can provide more power for longer and reduce the need for frequent recharges. They also have a lower cost, which makes them more affordable, in turn keeping the total power station cost lower. They are also safer when compared to other lithium-ion batteries, as they are more stable and less prone to overheating, catching fire or exploding. Total capacity is 716Wh and has a continuous output of 800W, with a surge rating of 1400W. All this helps make the EB70S a reliable and durable power source.
And last, but certainly not least is the on board BMS (Battery Management System) and MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) Controller, which are two features that enhance this portable power stations performance and safety. The BMS is a system that monitors and protects the battery from overcharging, over discharging, overcurrent, short circuit and temperature issues. It also balances the cells to ensure optimal battery health and longevity. The MPPT Controller is a device that optimizes the power output from solar panels by adjusting the voltage and current to match the battery’s needs. It also improves the efficiency and speed of solar charging by up to 30% compared to other controllers. These two features help make the BLUETTI EB70S a smart and efficient power source.
BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station Ports
The BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station has 11 output ports and 1 wireless charging pad that can provide power for various devices and appliances. The ports are as follows:
- Four AC outlets that can deliver up to 800W of pure sine wave power for devices that require AC input, such as lights, laptops, TVs, fans, etc.
- Two USB-C ports that support the USB-C Power Delivery standard and can provide up to 100W of power for mid-power mobile devices, such as tablets, laptops, drones, cameras, etc. These ports are fast-charging and can reach up to 80% of their capacity in half an hour.
- Two USB-A ports that can provide up to 18W of power for low-power mobile devices, such as smartphones, wireless earbuds, etc. These ports also support the Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 protocol for faster charging.
- One car lighter port that can provide up to 136W of power for devices that require a 12V DC input, such as air compressors, car vacuums, coolers, etc.
- Two DC barrel ports that can provide up to 96W of power for devices that require a 12V DC input, such as LED lights, CPAP machines, routers, etc.
- One 15W wireless charger pad that supports wireless charging for wireless charging capable devices, like smartphones, earbuds, watches, etc.
The BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station Ports is designed to meet diverse power needs and it allows you to charge or run multiple devices simultaneously. And thanks to the smart battery management system there is never a need to worry about overloading it.
BLUETTI EB70S Power Station Portability
The BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station is surprisingly compact and lightweight for its power output. It measures 12.6 x 8.5 x 8.7 inches and weighs in at only 21.4 pounds, making it easy to carry around with the ergonomic handle.
Using the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station
The BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station is easy to use and operate. You can switch between the different power sections and settings by pressing the buttons on the front panel. Monitoring the status of the EB70S and the connected devices is simply thanks to the easy to read LCD screen. The smart battery management system (BMS) gives me peace of mind knowing that both my devices and the power station are protected from overcurrent, overvoltage, overload, short circuit, overheating, and other issues. And thanks to the built in pure sine wave inverter, I know that my more sensitive electronics are being provided clean and stable power.
I tested the power station out by charging and using some of my devices that I usually bring along for camping. The usually suspects are an electric cooler (60W), laptop (45W), smartphone (18W), wireless charging earbuds (5W), camera batteries (8W) and camping lights (10W). I plugged in the electric cooler and the laptop to two of the AC outlets, and used the Type-C port to charge my smartphone and the wireless charging pad for the earbuds. I also used one of the DC ports to charge my camera battery, and another one to power the camping lights. The EB70S showed that it was drawing just under 135W of power from its battery. As expected the EB70S handled all these devices without any problem. It was very quiet and did not hardly produce any heat.
Doing some quick math, the total runtime of the EB70S for the above devices would be just over four and a half hours if the charging devices never made it to full (which they would well before the four hour mark). The formula for run time is this: Run time (estimated) = 716Wh * 0.85 / operating power of the device(s). (0.85 = Conversion Rate). For a more simple breakdown, lets just do a runtime calculation on the SetPower cooler (pictured above) which pulls about 60 watts to keep food cold. That would be 716Wh x 0.85/60watts (of the cooler) = 10.14 hours, which is not to bad considering the size of the power station. That won’t quite get you through a camping weekend powering a cooler, unless you bring along solar panels to recharge it.
To recharge the EB70S, I used a RunHood 100W solar panel on an overcast day. The EB70S detected the solar input and started charging. It showed that it was receiving about 35W of solar power. Due to the cloudy weather I opted to retest the solar charging the following day and managed to pull in 93W when the sun was at an optimal level. At that wattage it would take just under 8 hours to fully charge the EB70S from a depleted state. The good news is, this power station supports up to 200W for solar charging, so adding another panel would cut that time in half. Overall I was pleased with how easy it was to charge the EB70S using solar energy.
The BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station is compatible with car charging, which also clocks in at just under 8 hours from empty to full. And to help reduce any residue power loss the EB70S sports and ECO mode that automatically turns off the AC power after four hours of low or no load to save battery life. Of note, the AC inverter, DC regulator or LCD screen will consume a small amount of power under standby mode, but you can long press the AC/DC Power Button which shuts down the unit completely when not in use.
All in all, I am impressed with the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station. It is a powerful, reliable and versatile device that can more than meet my off the grid and camping electricity needs. And it is of course easy to carry and store, thanks to its compact size and foldable handle. Which makes it a simple and painless packing companion for almost every outdoor adventure.
Features of the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station
- Massive 716Wh capacity and 800W rated wattage
- The ultra-stable LiFePO4 battery chemistry,2500+ life cycles
- 4*110V AC outlets, 2*100W PD ports, 2*5V/3A USB-A ports, 2*regulated 12V/10A DC outputs, 1*12V/10A car port,1*15W wireless charging pad.
- With max input of 200W, this power station can be fully recharged in 3-4 hrs. with solar panels (OCV 12-28V, 200W)
- It can also get fully recharged from an AC wall outlet in 3-4 hrs. or a 12V car port in 7-8 hrs.
Specifications of the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station
- Capacity: 716Wh (22.4V, 32Ah)
- Type: LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate)
- Life Cycles: 2,500+ Cycles to 80% Original Capacity
- Shelf-life: Recharge to 80% Every 3-6 Months
- Management System: MPPT Controller, BMS, etc.
- AC Outlets: 4 x 120V/20A AC Outlets, 800W In Total
- Inverter Type: Pure Sine Wave
- Surge Power: 1,400W
- USB-C Port: 2 x 100W Max.
- USB-A Port: 2 x 5V/3A
- 12V DC Outlets: 1 x 12V/10A (Car Outlet) and 2 x 12V/10A (DC5521)
- Wireless Charging Pad: 1 x 15W Max.
- AC Adapter Input: 200W Max.
- Solar Input: 200W Max., VOC 12-28V, 8A
- Car Input: 12/24V from Cigarette Lighter Port
- AC Adapter (200W): ≈4-4.5 Hours
- Solar (200W): ≈4-4.5 Hours (With prime sunshine, ideal orientation and low temperature)
- 12V/24V Car Outlet (100W/200W): ≈7.5 or 4.0 Hours
- 240V Split Phase Bonding: No. Need 240V power source? Explore here
- Scalability: No. Enter for BLUETTI expandable power stations
- Pass-through Charging: Yes
- Weight: 21.4lb (9.7 kg)
- Dimensions (LxWxD): 12.6 x 8.5 x 8.7 in (32 x 21.6 x 22.1cm)
- Operating Temperature: -4-104℉ (-20-40℃)
- Storage Temperature: 14-113℉ (-10-45℃)
- Certifications: CEC, DOE, FCC, QC3.0, CA Prop 65
- Warranty: 24 Months (Enter to learn more about BLUETTI warranty policy)
Final Thoughts on the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station
Overall, the BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station is a versatile power station that delivers a well-balanced option between power and convenience. It is ideal for anyone who needs a reliable and versatile power source for camping or off the gird adventures. It is easy to carry, use and charge, and the LiFePO4 batteries are notorious for their longevity.