SPOT launches the SPOT X – A 2-Way Satellite Messenger
SPOT X combines proven S.O.S. emergency notification technology with new text messaging functionality for safety and peace of mind regardless of cellular service.
SPOT LLC, a leader in satellite messaging and emergency notification technologies, launched the SPOT X™, a 2-way satellite messaging device. SPOT X offers 2-way message capabilities with an onboard backlit keyboard, GPS location tracking, social media linking and direct communication with emergency services in one portable, lightweight device.
“SPOT X is an exciting evolution in our family of satellite communication devices,” said Jay Monroe, Chairman and CEO at Globalstar. “Our team has worked tirelessly to develop an all-in-one product that is rugged and easy to use. We’re incredibly proud that over the past decade SPOT has been responsible for initiating thousands of rescues worldwide. SPOT X will make connectivity in remote regions easier and more effective than ever before.”
SPOT X is the latest addition to the award-winning SPOT family of products, providing affordable, off-the-grid messaging and tracking for hundreds of thousands of outdoor enthusiasts. Through a direct connection to the GEOS International Emergency Coordination Center, SPOT has triggered nearly 6,000 rescues around the globe within the last ten years. With SPOT X, users can better communicate during their adventures with 2-way satellite messaging to keep in touch with family and friends, or if necessary, emergency personnel. Lone workers can check-in and provide detailed status of their situation when working in the wilderness or at remote jobsites. SPOT X provides users with a unique, personal mobile number that allows either party to initiate conversations at any time.
“SPOT X is going to be a game-changer for both occasional hikers and long distance hikers like myself,” said Dale Sanders, the oldest man to hike the Appalachian Trail in a year and solo paddle the Mississippi River. “It is vital to stay in touch with people that worry about me when I am out doing things that aren’t the safest for a man my age. The ability to send a text message regardless of cell coverage with an easy-to-use device like SPOT X, will be so comforting for my family and friends when I am on my next adventure.”
SPOT X is ruggedized, lightweight and easy-to-use with an illuminated QWERTY key board, 2.7” backlit display, U.S. mobile number, rechargeable Lithium battery and dust and waterproof rated hardware (IP67).
- 2-Way Satellite Messaging: Send and receive messages and short emails with family, friends or colleagues beyond cellular.
- S.O.S.: Emergency notification and direct 2-way message communication with 24/7 Search and Rescue services through the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center in the event of a life-threatening emergency.
- GPS Tracking: Waypoints tracked via Google Maps™ at intervals of 2.5, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes.
- Check In: Users can let contacts know they are “OK” with the push of a single button.
- Post to Social: Link to Facebook and Twitter accounts to share adventures with followers.
- Navigation: Built-in compass and programmable waypoints.
- Keyboard: Easy to use illuminated QWERTY keyboard that is usable in any light setting.
- Battery Life: SPOT X has a rechargeable battery averaging a battery life of 10 days when tracking in tracking 10 minute intervals.
- Length: 6.54”
- Width: 2.9″
- Thickness: 1.75″
- Weight: 7.0 oz
Pricing and Availability
SPOT X will be available online and at outdoor retailers in the US mid-May 2018, with worldwide availability following the US launch. The device will cost $249.99 with several annual service plans available, beginning at $19.99 per month. More pricing and coverage details are available at FindMeSPOT.com/.
About SPOT LLC
SPOT LLC, a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc., provides affordable satellite communication and tracking devices for recreational use. SPOT Global Phone uses the Globalstar network to transmit two-way voice and data communications. SPOT messaging devices use both the GPS satellite network and the Globalstar network to transmit text messages and GPS coordinates. Since 2007, SPOT has provided peace of mind by allowing customers to remain in contact completely independent of cellular coverage, having initiated nearly 6,000 rescues worldwide. For more information, visit FindMeSPOT.com.