Rugged Carry – Kyocera Edition
If you are a frequent reader of Active Gear Review you know the right gear can make all the difference in any outdoor experience. And while most of us first think about shoes, boots and clothes, everything you’re using and carrying needs to be outdoor ready, being able to stand up to the harsh environments that we venture into. And Kyocera has designed a few items to help combat the extrinsic factors of outdoor escapades.
Kyocera DuraForce Pro
Rugged, Waterproof and Drop Proof
Kyocera is one of the originators of the rugged smartphone and the DuraForce Pro is a perfect option for any outdoors person looking to kick smartphone fragility to the curb. The Kyocera DuraForce PRO is built to meet IP68 for dust and water immersion and Military Standard 810G for protection against dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, blowing rain, low pressure, solar radiation, salt fog, thermal shock, icing and freezing rain, humidity and water immersion. I believe that covers the entire spectrum for just about everything we encounter when heading into the Great Outdoors. For Verizon customers, Kyocera has gone one step farther and used a proprietary Sapphire Shield display that is ultra-tough, virtually scratch-proof and provides outstanding protection against impact damage. Must of you will be familiar with Sapphire glass from the likes of the higher end Garmin and Suunto watches and some of the camera lenses on smartphones. If you have ever used a Sapphire Crystal watch, you know the abuse the Sapphire glass can stand up to.
DuraForce PRO has been Tested to Survive:
- Eight hours in heavy dust – Go ahead and tackle the dust storm
- Drops, shocks—survives drop from 5 feet (1.5 meters) onto a steel floor.
- Horizontal, vertical, and sideways vibration for one hour – Push the limits on the MTB singletrack
- Extreme temperatures of -4 to 140°F (-20 to 60°C) for four hours
- High altitude at 15,000 feet (4,572 meters) for two hours – Climb to the peak.
- Solar radiation exposure of 1120 W/m2 for 200 hours
- Exposure to heavy salt fog—48 hrs of exposure followed by 48 hrs of drying time
- 95% humidity for 10 days straight
- Total immersion for up to 30 minutes in up to 6.5 feet (2 meters) of water
Why we Love it:
- Rugged and Durable – It truly is ready to take on any adventure – Taking on many bumps and drops and always coming out unscathed
- Easy readability in bright outdoor settings
- 1080P Waterproof Camera – As well as an action camera at the Ready – With a 135-degree field of view
- Touchscreen features Glove and Wet Touch Operation – Use wherever gloves are required – Perfect for skiing and cold weather outings
- Loud, dual front speakers enable clear sound in the loudest places
- Outdoor Report app gives quick access to conditions all in one location for planning the perfect outing; Weather Forecast, Tide Index, Solunar, Fish Finder, Sun/Moon Position, Compass with Tilt Meter, Altimeter and Barometer
Built tough and designed for the adventurous outdoors person, the DuraForce PRO incorporates cutting-edge technology and features designed to function in life’s most demanding moments, allowing you to put worry to the side. Along with a biometric fingerprint sensor built into its power button for security, the phone is equipped with a 5-inch Full HD display and a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ octa-core processor (1.5GHz x 4/1.2GHz x 4) with X8 LTE and multi-mode to ensure fast connections that won’t slow you down. In addition to the phone’s Super Wide View HD Action Camera, DuraForce PRO also offers a 13MP rear camera and 5MP front camera, so you can capture every moment worth remembering.
I hear what some of you are thinking, “but it’s not an iPhone or a Samsung”. I am a Samsung owner and I truly love the Samsung experience. For me, it is about peace of mind, the Samsung gets left at home, knowing that I won’t have to replace an expensive phone because of some mishap when I go out for a run, hike, or a week long adventure. This is especially easy to do when the carrier allows you to just swap out the SIM Card. And at less than half the price point of some of those phones, it just becomes an easy discussion to include it in my gear arsenal.
AT&T Technical Specifications:
- Talk Time: 20 hours
- Standby Time: 19 days
- Battery Type: 3240 mAh non-removable Lithium ion (Li-ion)
- Display: 5” FHD, TFT, IPS (1920 x1080 pixels), impact-resistant
- Operating System: Android™ 7 (Nougat)
- Chipset: MSM8952 Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ processor with 1.5 GHz x 4/1.2GHz x 4 Octa Core CPU
- Radios: 4G LTE: Bands 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700), 20(800), 29(700); LTE CAT6
3G UMTS: 850/900/1700/1900/2100 MHz
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Memory: 32GB ROM/3GB RAM microSDXC memory card slot (supports up to 256GB)
- SIM Type: Nano/4FF
- Size: 148.4 x 73.4 x 12.9mm (5.84 x 2.89 x .51in)
- Weight: 230g (8.1 oz)
- Media Formats: Audio: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, FLAC, MP3, MIDI, Vorbis, PCM (WAVE), Opus, QCELP, EVRC
- Video: H.263, H.264, H.265, MPEG-4, VP8, VP9
- Image: BMP, WBMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, WEBP
For more information on the DuraForce Pro and other rugged Kyocera phones, visit kyoceramobile.com. MSRP varies with carrier.
Ultra-sharp Ceramic Camp Knife and Sheath Set
Designed for outdoor kitchen food prep
The Kyocera Ceramic Camp Kitchen Knife is ultra-sharp, lightweight, very easy to clean and will never rust, making it perfect for outdoor use. Made from Kyocera’s proprietary zirconia advanced ceramic material, this knife is designed for outdoor food prep. The knife is perfect for slicing fruits, vegetables, boneless meats and fish. It’s ideal for camping, fishing, hiking, picnics, and tailgating. The ergonomic handle provides for a comfortable and highly controlled grip. You experience the difference as soon as you pick it up, the feel – incredibly light yet balanced in the palm. The blade – beautifully ground with razor sharp precision. But it’s when you actually try the knife that the ceramic advantage becomes real, making outdoor food prep a breeze. The knife sheath is made of heavy nylon built to withstand the elements and it features a Velcro strap to safely secure the knife in place as well as a belt loop for quick and easy access at your side. Kyocera made this ceramic blade versatile enough for slicing meats and chopping veggies, making it the only cutting utensil you’ll need for all of your future camping trips.
- The ultra-sharp 4” ceramic blade will maintain its edge 10x longer than a steel blade
- Rust-proof, will never brown foods, impervious to acids, oils and germs, no metallic taste or smell.
- Lightweight and easy to clean, typically half the weight of metal-based knives
- Ergonomic soft grip handle for a highly controlled grip
- Durable, heavy nylon sheath with VELCRO® strap keeps knife safe and secure with belt loop for easy access at your side.
Why we love it
- Razor Sharp – with an edge that lasts up to 10x longer than steel blades
- Lightweight – Great for Hiking when every ounce counts
- Easy to clean – Ceramic is non stick and non absorbing, usually just one wipe and it’s cleaned
- It will Never Rust
- Durable and comes with a heavy duty nylon sheath
For more information on the Outdoor Ceramic Camp Kitchen Knife or other Kyocera knives, visit kyoceraadvancedceramics.com MSRP $34.95
Ceramic Coated, Double Wall Stainless Steel Travel Mug
The perfect outdoor travel mug.
Kyocera’s Ceramic Coated, Double Wall Stainless Steel Travel Mug with a twist top lid and removable drinking insert make it easy to travel with your favorite beverage, keeping them hot or cold for at least 6 hours, most of the time longer, depending on the starting temperature of the beverage. Kyocera’s stainless steel mug features a unique slim exterior design that fits almost all cup holders and a removable spill-proof, ice-stopping insert for convenience. It’s the perfect travel mug for camping, hiking, biking, and at home. Whether you’re an all-day coffee drinker, or an active water drinker, the twist top lid and removable easy drinking insert makes it easier than ever to bring your favorite beverage with you wherever you go. Available in 12 or 17 oz. sizes and four different colors to choose from: Pearl White, Cotton Candy Pink, Jet Black and Stainless Steel, the result is a convenient insulated bottle that cools and heats for hours without the metallic taste you might find in some steel bottles.
- Ceramic coating eliminates metallic taste, never rusts and will not stain
- Removable ice stopper insert makes drinking, cleaning and adding ice cubes easy
- Double wall, vacuum Insulated
- Stays cool to the touch with hot liquids and never sweats with cold liquids
- Keeps beverages hot or cold for at least 6–12 hours
Why we Love it:
- Flavor saving ceramic coated interior – no metallic tastes
- Safety lock prevents the lid from accidentally opening
- Wide mouth makes for easy ice loading
- Light and compact design for easy storage and transportation
For more information on the Ceramic Coated, Double Wall Stainless Steel Travel Mug or other Kyocera mugs, visit kyoceraadvancedceramics.com MSRP $27.95