Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
LifeStraw Flex gravity filter features LifeStraw’s two-stage filtration system that removes 99.999% of microplastics, meets NSF-53 (National Sanitation Foundation) standards for lead reduction, filters out 99.999999% of bacteria and 99.999% of parasites and reduces bad taste and odors. Built on versatility and designed to use in three different ways, the LifeStraw Flex filter may also be used alone as a straw filter, or in-line with a hydration pack. The product is ultralight with high throughput, weighing only 6.94 oz. (0.43 lbs.), and capable of filtering one liter of water every two minutes. The one-gallon gravity bag holds contaminated water while the LifeStraw Flex filter uses a hollow fiber membrane (lifetime of 2,000 liters or 500 gallons) and carbon capsule (lifetime of 100 liters or 25 gallons) to remove bacteria, parasites, microplastics, chemicals and lead.
“The LifeStraw Flex gravity filter enables outdoor enthusiasts, travelers, and families displaced by hurricanes, flooding or other natural disasters to safely hydrate from a tap or natural water source nearby,” said Alison Hill, managing director of LifeStraw. “LifeStraw’s continued innovation enables us to provide more consumers, groups and communities around the world with access to safe drinking water.”
- Removes 99.999999% of bacteria
- Removes 99.999 % of parasites
- Removes 99.999% of microplastics
- Carbon fiber capsule: Improves taste while reducing lead, other heavy metals, chlorine and organic chemical matter (Pesticides, Herbicides, VOC)
- Exceeds US EPA drinking water standards for bacteria and parasites
- Exceeds NSF 42 standard for chlorine reduction and NSF 53 standard for reduction of lead and other heavy metals
- Longevity/Lifetime: 2,000 liters/500 gallons (hollow fiber membrane) 100 liters/26.4 gallons (replaceable carbon capsule)
- Filter Size: 6.24 x 1.5 in
- Filter Weight: 2.0 oz / Gravity Bag & Hose Weight: 5.3 ounces
- Gravity Bag Volume: 1 gallon / 3.7 liters
- Kit Includes: LifeStraw Flex filter with carbon capsule, 1 gallon / 3.7 liter gravity bag w/ quick connect hose, backwashing syringe
The LifeStraw Flex gravity filter is available for purchase online (MSRP $54.95) and at specialty retailers and will be on display at LifeStraw’s booth (#30018-UL) at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market in Denver, November 8—11, 2018.
For more information about the Flex gravity filter and other Lifestraw products, visit lifestraw.com
LifeStraw focuses on innovation of technology that converts microbiologically contaminated water into safe drinking water with products that are designed to fit the needs of the people that use them. The first LifeStraw was the LifeStraw Guinea worm filter introduced in 1996, which has been instrumental in the near-eradication of Guinea worm disease. In 2005, the personal LifeStraw filter was introduced for use in developing countries, and the technology has since been time-tested in some of the harshest environments and humanitarian emergencies. Today, LifeStraw is used in 64 countries and includes filters and purifiers for households, clinics, schools, and for outdoor recreation, travel and everyday personal use. LifeStraw is sold in North America in retail stores and online at www.lifestraw.com.