Fall Hiking with Mountain Hardwear
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The best way to enjoy Fall is to be outside and be apart of it. As the leaves change, and the weather cools down there is no better time for a hike in the great outdoors. Whether you are going on a day hike, or for an extended trip, there are certain indispensables that everyone needs. And of those, wearing the proper clothing is number one on the list. We tested some apparel from Mountain Hardwear that will allow you to have a comfortable and enjoyable journey and while this outfit excels in the woods, this gear can go anywhere. It makes a statement in the city, and also fits right in at the office.
MHW Logo Beanie
Nothing beats a good, old-fashioned beanie out on a Fall hike. And the MHW Logo Beanie is just about as good as they come. Crafted with a soft acrylic, this beanie keeps your head and ears warm on some of the coldest days, while the cable knit design and simple fold up offers a classic style that travels well from the hiking trails to the city.
- 100% acrylic: warm, soft, durable and easy to care for
- Basic fold up with skully fit
- MSRP $26
Kor Strata Hoody
Performance Meets Comfort
This lightweight synthetic softshell by Mountain Hardwear is made for hiking. The Kor Strata Hoody is made with Primaloft® Gold Active insulation and Mechanical Stretch Dobby to support breathability and ventilation when you get warmed up climbing the hills. Crafted from a soft, yet stretchy Dobby, this jacket delivers a plush fit and feel while remaining flexible enough to keep up with all of your active pursuits and the gusseted underarm panels help you move freely when it’s time to pull out the hiking poles. The stretch hood and adjustable hem protects your ears and back from the cold and can be worn over a helmet should the need arise. For easy traveling and storing in a backpack, stuff the jacket in it’s own pocket for the days when you don’t trust the forecast. The stretch and breathability of the Kor Strata Hoody make this an adaptable piece you can wear anywhere.
- Primaloft® Gold Active, highly breathable, stretch insulation
- Weather-resistant yet breathable mechanical stretch Nylon Ripstop
- 2 secure zippered hand warmer pockets, left chest secure zippered pocket
- Articulated fit – seamless under arm gusset
- Adjustable hood can be worn over helmet
- Fabric Body: Mechanical Stretch Dobby
- Insulation: Primaloft Gold Active 60gr.
- Fit: Alpine – True to size – has room for an extra layer
- Weight: 14.1 oz / 400 g
- MSRP $220
Riveter Twill Long Sleeve Shirt
From Work to the Trails
Look good when heading into the wilderness in the Mountain Hardwear Riveter Twill Long Sleeve Shirt. It is classic button-up styling meets the comfort of Cordura® knit fabric to deliver a shirt that is durable on the mountain and looks great off of it. The fit is fine-tuned allowing for maximum mobility, and the Lycra Elastane offers up stretchy comfort when you’re shouldering a heavy backpack on the trail. Whether you’re trekking deep into the backcountry or heading to the office, the Riveter Twill Shirt will have you covered.
- Cordura® knit fabric for durable comfort
- Fabric Body: Cordura Twill (062% Cotton, 27% Cordura Nylon, 11% Lycra Elastane)
- Fabric Weight: 5.9 oz / 168 g
- Fit: Standard – True to Size
- MSRP $100
Hardwear AP Trouser
Tough and Comfy
Look to the Hardwear AP Trouser when you need a pair of pants that can keep up with you on your daily hikes through the woods. The AP Trousers deliver rugged durability and flexible performance for everything from mellow hikes to epic ascents. The tough Stretch Cotton Nylon Sanded Canvas resists abrasion and delivers breathability, while the Elastane stretch lets you move freely when you’re scrambling up a steep peak. A snap secure cell pocket stores your phone on the front right thigh and front and rear pockets include standard hand options and one zippered rear. The Hardwear AP Trouser accommodates the active lifestyle and delivers durable comfort that makes this style a hiking favorite.
- Constructed with comfort and durability in mind
- Trouser fit
- Snap secure cell pocket
- Fabric Body: Stretch Cotton Nylon Sanded Canvas (75% Cotton, 23% Nylon, 2% Elastane)
- Fabric Weight: 8.6 oz / 245 g
- Fit: Standard – True to Size
- MSRP $95