Pearl iZUMi Men’s Elevate Pants Review
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I recently had the opportunity to try out the Pearl iZUMi Men’s Elevate Pants, designed specifically for mountain biking but versatile enough for various outdoor activities. These pants pair exceptionally well with the Canyon Tech Snap Short Sleeve Shirt, making them an excellent combination for outdoor adventures. Priced at $170 and available in two color options, SADDLE/BERM BROWN TRAIL or PHANTOM, these pants intrigued me with their promise of comfort and durability. In this review, I will share my firsthand experience with the Elevate Pants, highlighting their materials, fit, performance, and other notable features.
Pearl iZUMi Men’s Elevate Pants Materials and Fit
The Elevate Pants are made from a thoughtful blend of materials that contribute to their performance. The fabric is composed of 89% recycled nylon and 11% spandex for the upper leg, 91% recycled nylon and 9% spandex for the lower leg and back yoke, and 86% nylon and 14% spandex for other components. This combination allows for a slight stretch, providing a good fit that I found perfect for shredding the trails on a mountain bike.
During my initial purchase, I decided to order a size bigger than my usual 34, as I’ve had experiences with sport-oriented brands running smaller. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Elevate Pants were true to size. Nonetheless, the adjustable built-in belt offered a perfect solution to fine-tune the fit according to my preference, adding a nice touch of customization.
Performance on the Trails
On a sunny day with temperatures soaring above 80 degrees Fahrenheit in West Michigan, I decided to put the Elevate Pants to the test on a 6-mile mountain bike ride with my oldest companion. While we maintained a comfortable pace, the pants did not become uncomfortably hot, thanks to the strategically placed laser-perforated vent holes along the inner thigh. These vents efficiently allowed air to flow, preventing excessive body heat buildup.
One of the standout features of these pants is their versatility. Despite their cooling capabilities on a warm day, I could easily envision wearing them in colder weather, particularly in the 30-40 degree range, while engaging in high-energy activities that generate body heat.
Thoughts on Design and Functionality
The design of the Pearl iZUMi Elevate Pants undoubtedly caters to the needs of mountain bikers. The tapered legs keep the pant material away from the bike chain, reducing any potential risks of interference. Moreover, the pants are equipped with two zippered side pockets that are perfectly positioned for easy access to essentials while riding. I found this aspect particularly convenient, as I could quickly slide my phone into the pocket without interrupting the flow of my ride.
Additionally, I appreciated the absence of a waist button, as it minimized any discomfort and prevented any digging into my waist during prolonged rides. These thoughtful design choices undoubtedly add to the overall comfort and usability of the pants.
Pearl iZUMi Men’s Elevate Pants Pros and Cons:
- Versatile material, suitable for various temperatures and activities.
- True-to-size fit with an adjustable built-in belt.
- Efficient temperature regulation with laser-perforated venting.
- Suitable for colder weather with adequate warmth and breathability.
- Functional and well-placed zippered side pockets.
- Tapered design keeps the pant legs away from the bike chain.
- Comfortable without a waist button, reducing potential discomfort.
- Limited color options, some additional choices would be welcome.
- Expensive at $170.00.
Pearl iZUMi Men’s Elevate Pants Features
- Pedal to Zero: Going by bike 35.35mi offsets the climate impact of this garment
- Our most durable mountain bike pant
- Constructed from recycled stretch-woven nylon
- PFC-free Durable Water Repellent treatment sheds light precipitation
- Two zippered Trail Access™ side pockets
- Laser-perforated venting through the legs
- External G-hook waist adjustment provides a secure, sag-free fit with less bulk
- Add a chamois liner of your choice to complete the package
- 30.5” Inseam
- Upper Leg: 89% recycled nylon, 11% spandex
- Lower Leg and Back Yoke: 91% recycled nylon, 9% spandex
- Pocket Bag: 95% recycled polyester, 5% polyester Other: 86% nylon, 14% spandex
After putting the Pearl iZUMi Men’s Elevate Pants to the test, I can confidently say that they offer a great fit and performance for mountain biking and a range of outdoor activities. The blend of recycled nylon and spandex ensures comfort and flexibility, while the laser-perforated venting keeps you cool even during intense rides. The thoughtful design elements, such as the zippered side pockets and absence of a waist button, add to the pants’ functionality.
Those seeking durable and versatile outdoor pants should not overlook the Elevate Pants. I look forward to many more adventures with these pants as my reliable companion on the trails as I travel to Marquette Michigan in a two weeks. Whether it’s aggressive mountain biking or any other outdoor activity, the Pearl iZUMi Elevate Pants did not disappoint me in both performance and comfort. Check them out on www.pearlizumi.com website to learn more.