New Gear for the New Year
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
New Year’s resolutions have come and gone, now it’s time to settle in and do the work. While the motivation to stick to them everyday may begin to signs of fading, a new piece of gear can help spike the inspiration back into full swing. We have been testing out some great products that can help keep those goals alive and make the process just a bit more enjoyable. So we’ve put together a round up of gear that will let you hit your stride and keep you heading towards accomplishing the milestones you have set forth.
Jabra Elite Active 65t Wireless Earbuds
The Jabra Elite Active 65t’s were made for the most heart-pumping and strenuous actives, thanks to their IP56 rated water-resistance, sweat-proofing, and streamlined fit. From exercise, phone calls or just everyday wear, the 65t earbuds are form fit ensuring a comfortable and no-slip fit. These powerful earbuds stay connected and deliver premium quality sound, whether you are taking a call or listening to music. Especially with the EQ levels that are easy to control within the Jabra Sound+ app, letting you customize the sound for whatever the day has in store. With an impressive 5 hours of talk-time capability in addition to another 10 hours when stored in the charging case, the 65t’s will keep you company all day long. Delivering the ultimate in comfort, convenience, and performance, these wireless headphones are ready to help you tackle any endeavor.
What We Like
- Wireless range up to 33 feet – You don’t have to be bound to your device
- 3rd generation Jabra true wireless stability – Media stays connected in any situation
- 5 hours of talk-time capability in addition to another 10 hours when stored in the charging case
- Perfect call and voice quality – The unique four-microphone technology gives you effective wind noise reduction on calls.
- HearThrough technology – Provides external ambient noise into earbuds for awareness.
- Voice command made simple – You can instantly connect to Alexa, Siri or Google Now
MSRP $189 For more information on the Elite Active 65t’s and other Jabra products, visit jabra.com
UA Sport Wireless Train – Engineered by JBL
The UA Sport Wireless Train Headphones provide deep crisp sound, wireless freedom, and durability. They are undoubtedly built for the gym, thanks to the SuperVent ear cushions that keep them cool and dry while the Under Armour grip material provides a soft feel and maximum stability. With a simple touch of the UA logo, TalkThru technology is enabled so you can talk to your workout partner without having to remove the headphones. The on-ear over-sized controls for playing, pausing, and switching tracks come in handy when your phone is out of reach. Built with a 16-hour battery and equipped with Speed Charge that delivers an hour of playback on just five minutes’ charge, these headphones are always ready to go. With their durable wireless comfort, the UA Sport Train deliver crisp highs and booming bass that are ready to help fuel your workouts on a moments notice.
What We Like
- JBL Charged sound – Bold sound tuned for sport with rich bass to crush your workout.
- Rechargeable battery – Offers up to 16 hours of use on a charge, and a 5-minute speed charge provides an hour of playback.
- Durability – Built to withstand tough gym conditions.
- Folding design – Along with an included carrying case enables easy portability.
- TalkThru technology button – enabled so you can talk to your training partner or coach without having to remove the headphones
- Easy Oversized Headset controls – Include volume control, on/off, answer/end, play/pause, and next/previous track
MSRP $199.99 For more information on the UA Sport Wireless Train headphones, visit jbl.com
Peak Fitness Chill Bottle
The Peak Fitness Chill Essentials water bottle has insulation to keep your drinks cold and an essentials stretch pocket to hold your valuables. It features a revolutionary triangular, tapered design that fits perfectly in the hand and offers great standalone stability. With features like a high flow, self-sealing cap, easy-to-clean drink interface, and Clean Cap to keep the nozzle clean, it prioritizes performance and functionality above all else. The Peak Fitness Chill is an easy and convenient solution for both hydration and storage when you’re heading to the gym, the yoga studio and everywhere in between.
Whether your day calls for a long gym session or an afternoon at the track, you can count on the CamelBak Chute Mag Water Bottle to safeguard your precious hydration. The stainless steel construction offers rugged durability, and the Chute is vacuum-insulated to keep your water crisp and cold when temperatures are anything but comfortably cool. It is also capable of hauling around hot liquids, so you’re able to bring along hot coffee or tea on those early morning sessions. The Chute Mag delivers high flow without the mess. The cap features an easy carry handle and the stand out feature of a magnetic top that stows securely out of the way when open and is leak-proof when closed. Ideal for longer days when you need to keep your hydration cold (or hot), the CamelBak Chute Mag Water Bottle will have your back.
MSRP $36 For more information on the CamelBak Peak Fitness Chill and the Chute Mag, visit www.amazon.com/camelbak
Swiftwick FLITE XT
Swiftwick FLITE XT is a cross-training sock that is engineered to improve stability during fitness activities that require quick lateral transitions, as it incorporates Swiftwick’s GripDry Fiber and AnkleLock Technology. GripDry uses an innovative grip fiber that helps keep your foot from slipping inside your shoe and the AnkleLock Technology adds support around the ankle that promotes an extra sense of stability during high-intensity training. With an anatomical, close-to-skin fit that prevents hotspots the Swiftwick FLITE XT is ready to support you when you want to pick up the tempo.
What We Like
- GripDry Fiber – prevents slipping inside your shoe
- AnkleLock Technology – provides targeted ankle support
- Olefin Fiber – Wicks moisture and keeps feet dry
MSRP $23.99 For more information on the Swiftwick FLITE XT, visit swiftwick.com
inov-8 F-Lite G 290 Graphene Training Shoe
The inov-8 F-Lite G 290 is constructed with a revolutionary graphene-enhanced rubber that delivers the world’s toughest and most durable grip in the gym while providing a natural, ergonomic fit that supplies superior comfort, stability, power, and lateral support for the hardest and most demanding workouts. When you’re lifting heavy weights, the wide toe box in the G 290 allows your toes to splay naturally for increased stability while the dense Powerheel offers stability so you can push yourself even further without losing energy and focusing on your feet. A seamless toe bumper protects against abrasion and adds cushioning when you’re doing burpees and the Meta-flex technology in the outsole delivers multi-directional flexibility so you can flow through whatever your workout has in store. Weighing in at just 290g, the multi-directional lightweight flexibility built into the shoe allows you to adapt and react, no matter how varied the workout. If hard training in the gym is your thing, you’re not going to want to show up without wearing the inov-8 F-Lite G 290s.
What We Like
- Graphene Grip – Built to last and offers reliable traction on the gym floor
- Exteroflow midsole – Minimizes shock impact and delivers high levels of underfoot cushioning
- Powerheel – More density in the heel for maximum stability when lifting weights
- Meta-Flex – Allows optimal multi-directional flexibility ensuring natural movements
MSRP $160 For more information inov-8 F-Lite G 290, visit www.amazon.com/inov-8.
Lululemon Switch Up Short 7″
Designed for performance, the Lululemon Switch Up Short 7″ are unlined shorts made from a lightweight stretch fabric that provides unhindered mobility as you explore your limits. These lightweight training shorts have perforated panels to help keep you cool as you execute challenging moves. A no-zip phone pocket on the rear prevents the dreaded bounce and two zippered side pockets give you room for small necessities. Whether you’re doing a HIIT workout at the gym or you’re running the track, you’ll enjoy the versatility and comfort of the Lululemon Switch Up Short 7″.
What We Like
- Fabric – sweat-wicking and four-way stretch
- Secured Pockets – Secure Your Stuff In The Exterior Zippered Pocket
- Generous Cut – For Room Through The Butt And Quads
MSRP $78 For more information on the Lululemon Switch Up Short 7″, visit lululemon.com
Mission VaporActive Transformer 3/4 Training Tights
The Mission VaporActive Transformer Tight maximizes comfort and support. Alone or under training shorts, the 3/4 length compression tight gives you a locked-in fit that is perfect for high-intensity activities. Four-way stretch ensures uninhibited motion, and the smooth flatlock seam construction delivers a chafe-free experience. The zippered back pocket keeps your tech secure and bounce free. The VaporActive fabric, powered by 37.5 technology, rapidly evaporates and removes sweat so you can dry faster, stay cooler and go longer. The Mission VaporActive Transformer Tight is ideal for everything from gym workouts to yoga sessions.
What We Like
- VaporActive, powered by patented 37.5 technology, ATTRACTS and rapidly REMOVES moisture so you can dry faster, stay cooler and go longer
- Fabric contains 37.5 active particles that attract and trap odor-causing molecules, releasing them later in the wash
- Permanently embedded at the fiber level, the ultra-fast drying technology never degrades or washes out
- Compression fit with 4-way stretch gives a locked-in feel and enables a full range of motion
- Zippered back pocket so you can securely stash your stuff while training
MSRP $74.99 For more information on the Mission VaporActive Transformer 3/4 Training Tights, visit www.amazon.com/mission.
Lululemon Keep the Heat Thermal Tight
Made with a blend of merino wool and stretchy synthetic fabrics, the Lululemon Keep the Heat Thermal Tights will be your new best friend on chilly mornings and cold winter days. With merino wool you’ve got natural breathability, lightweight warmth, and odor control, all with the comfortable and non-restrictive stretch of the integrated SenseKnit technology. This high-performance base layer is wicking on the inside and insulating on the outside, so you feel warm and comfortable during intense cold-weather activities. If the thermostat says stay inside, but your calendar says you’ve got a workout to do, make sure you have a pair of the Lululemon Keep the Heat Thermal Tights in your workout wardrobe.
What We Like
- Soft Against Your Skin
- Minimal Seams For A Smooth Fit
MSRP $98 For more information on the Lululemon Keep the Heat Thermal Tight, visit lululemon.com
Salomon Primo Warm LS CN Seamless Tee
Rather than shivering through half of your workout, combat chilly mornings with the Salomon Primo Warm Seamless Long-Sleeve Tee Shirt. Its thermal protection performance stretch fabric moves with you as you warm up and wicks sweat when you get into the thick of your workout. The seamless design ensures comfort that lasts, while the 37.5 fabric fights odor and keeps you feeling fresh when you decide to stop by the coffee shop on your way home.
What We Like
- Wicking and fast drying – Polyester and 37.5 blend breathes well and dries fast.
- Odor Protection – 37.5 fabric fights odor naturally.
- Comfort – Seamless construction with mapped 3D fabrics for cushioning and durability.
MSRP $80 For more information on the Primo Tee or other Salomon products, visit salomon.com.
Kora Shola 230 Zip
Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean it’s time to hibernate. The Kora Shola 230 Zip helps you stay warm during cold weather workouts. The Yak wool delivers superior natural warmth and breathability for frigid days, while the interior fabric offers unbeatable softness and moisture-wicking performance. When that icy winds blow and threaten to chase you indoors, pull on the Kora Shola 230 Zip and get out there and enjoy your workout.
What We Like
- 100% Pure Himalayan Yak Wool Fabric is warmer than equivalent merino fabrics and more breathable
- Ergonomic 3D fit
- Extra long body for maximum coverage
- Extra long zip neck collar for increased temperature control
- Super soft for all-day comfort
MSRP $160 For more information on the Kora Shola 230 Zip, visit koraoutdoor.com/
Lululemon Lost in the Hustle Hoodie
The Lululemon Lost in the Hustle Hoodie is a lightweight, technical half zip fashioned for training that gives you breathable coverage. Its stretchy fabric ensures full mobility whether you’re running, cross training, or holding a pose. It wicks moisture, dries quickly, and the enhanced breathability is perfect for when you are working up a sweat. Durable fabric has been placed on the elbows and forearms for when your training calls for holding plank. If you are looking for breathable coverage for the gym, look no further than the Lululemon Lost in the Hustle Hoodie.
What We Like
- Mesh fabric panels under the arms helps in cooling
- Ergonomic Sleeve Construction – arms are constructed to give elbows full range of motion
- Four-way stretch
MSRP $118 For more information on the Lululemon Lost in the Hustle Hoodie, visit lululemon.com