FITS Light Hiker Crew Socks
When you first slip on the FITS Light Hiker Crew socks, the actual “fit” (no pun intended) is remarkable. Their big push seems to be the “Heel Lock” and rightfully so. I typically wear between a 10 1/2 and 11 1/2 shoe, depending on brand and the “XL” size of this sock was perfect. It truly feels like a custom fit sock.
FITS Light Hiker Crew- Performance
This is going to sound a little nuts, but when I first put on my hiking boots for a little adventure test, they felt like they were brand new. I have been a “Smart Wool” fan for years and this is the first time I have tried a different brand of sock. The fit, as I mentioned was great, but the feeling inside the boot was amazing as well. They seem to be a little smoother than other socks and for whatever reason, made my boots feel nicer on the inside.
I was impressed by the lack of movement as well. I tend to favor two pairs of socks to diminish any additional rubbing (and blisters), but went with a single layer this time. The socks didn’t budge on my foot whether ascending or descending.
Since it is February, my tests were done in colder temps. The Merino Wool performed as expected and kept my feet toasty warm. I noticed that my feet were a bit damp when I got off the trail, but this is not uncommon with wool socks and the important thing was they were warm.
Another notable feature of these socks was their “stay-uppance”. Essentially, they stayed “up” on my leg better than other socks I have used in the past. If a sock is long enough to rise above the calf, they tend to have the added friction to remain up on the leg. With these Light Hiker Crews, they do not have that advantage, yet still remained in place throughout the day. The overall performance of these socks is great.
(Here’s a nugget of history for you:)
FITS is part of the oldest sock mill in the US (started knitting socks in 1902). They have created 4 unique patents in the design and manufacturing of socks to create arguably the best socks in the world. They focus especially on the sock’s fit (hence the brand name) and inarguably produce the best fitting socks in the world. Because of their intricate knitting techniques, it takes 40% longer to create a FITS sock than it does to create a competitor’s version.
FITS Light Hiker Crew – Details:
- Toasty Warm in sub-30 degree temps
- Toe cup, heel lock and full contact cuff all make a huge difference
- extra cushion on the bottom of the sock for comfort
- Great blend of wool and nylon to eliminate itchy-ness
- Wool . . . . . . . . . .65%
- Nylon . . . . . . . . . 27%
- Polyester . . . . . . . 6%
- Lycra Spandex . . 2%
The patented features include:
- The dynamic toe cup that features a special Y-shaped stitch that eliminates extra material around your does (form fits perfectly to the shape of your toes).
- A deep heel pocket that hugs your heel and never moves. (you will notice this immediately when you put them on.)
- Reinforced achilles to add longevity to an area of the sock that wears quickly.
- Full next-to-skin coverage – the sewn in elastic fibers follow the natural contours of the leg and arch, which makes sure the socks never sag or slouch.
These 4 features combine to create their Full Contact FIT, which is what makes these socks so great.
Overall the FITS Light Hiker Crew socks were fantastic and I’m happy to have expanded my sock horizon a bit. They performed great in winter and will be a welcome addition to my summer hiking sock collection as well. Great fit, great feel and well built. Not much more you can ask for in a hiking sock. You can get more information and purchase these socks for yourself at the FITS Socks website.
Available in Coal, Navy, Brown, Stone, Natural or Black in sizes Small (Men’s 3 1/2 – 5 1/2 / Women’s 5 – 7) – XXL (Men’s 13 – 15 1/2 / Women’s 14 1/2 – 16 1/2).