Lumos Bike Helmet Integrates Apple Watch Smart Gestures
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lumos Becomes First Smart Bike Helmet To Be Sold In the Apple Store
Utilizing proprietary smart gesture recognition algorithms and an Apple Watch app, the Lumos Helmet recognizes when its user makes a hand signal, and activates the corresponding turn signal on the helmet automatically. Lumos Helmets will be launching in 300 Apple Stores across the US and Europe this Spring. The Lumos phone app will also integrate with Strava and Apple Health.
This spring, Lumos will be releasing a significant upgrade: An app on the Apple Watch that will enable a rider to activate the turn signals on his/her helmet with just their hand gestures. With this groundbreaking smart Gesture Recognition technology, riders will no longer have to use the remote to activate their turn signal. Instead, the technology enhances the riders safety by fitting around the rider’s normal behavior. By automatically activating the turn signal via hand gestures, the rider enjoys a seamless, safer experience.
The Lumos Helmet will now also feature enhanced bluetooth connectivity to the iPhone. With an upgraded iPhone app, the Helmet can now be integrated with Strava and Apple Health, allowing riders to have their ride activity recorded automatically whenever they ride.
One beta tester who tried the feature out in San Francisco for a day said, “I’ve never seen the Apple Watch used in this way before. It’s a really cool feature, and it works surprisingly well.”
To highlight and display these innovative integrations with the Apple ecosystem, Apple Retail is launching Lumos Helmets into 300 Apple Store locations across the United States and Europe. It will be the first time that a helmet of any kind will be sold at the Apple Store.
- Apple Watch Integration – The Lumos Helmet recognizes when its user makes a hand signal, and activates the corresponding turn signal on the helmet automatically
- Smartphone App – Lumos Helmet companion app available on iOS and Google Play store. Update helmet settings, check your battery levels, and get automatic battery notifications about your helmet on your phone.
- Integrated lights – Red lights at the back of the helmet are arranged to form a triangle, a commonly used warning symbol on the road. White lights in front are arranged in a distinctive pattern in order to make you stand out better, whether it is from a driver’s rear or side view mirror, or from a car coming in the opposite direction
- Turn signals – Once activated, bright yellow lights on the helmet turn on to form an arrow on the back.
- Automatic brake lights – Lumos comes with an integrated accelerometer. It senses when you slow down, and automatically turns all the rear lights bright solid red to signal that you are braking.
- Rechargeable battery – Lumos comes with an integrated rechargeable battery inside. Recharge with the included micro USB cable just like you would with your phone. If you use Lumos for 30 minutes every day, each charge will last about a week.
- Water resistant – Lumos is water resistant so you can take it out with you and stay safe come rain or shine.
“I am tremendously excited about this new feature and how it will further enhance cycling safety.” said Eu-wen Ding, Lumos Helmet’s CEO. “As a design-centered company, we’re thrilled to be able to launch this with Apple. Having got our start as an idea on Kickstarter, this is a huge moment for us!”
For more information on the Lumos Helmet, visit amazon.com/lumos.