Showers Pass Metro Jacket Review
Showers Pass Metro Jacket Initial Thoughts
When I took this jacket out of the bag the first thing that came to mind was how light and thin it was. It appears to be a great outer piece that keeps out the elements, will keep me warm, and can easily be stowed when the weather improves. With our fickle Colorado weather, we’ve had either really nice weather with 60 degree temperatures, or heavy snow and in the teens. Finally, some ‘ride-able’ weather (that is arguable, of course, depending our your level of toughness) with temperatures in the low thirties and a light wet snow that seemed perfect for the Showers Pass Metro Jacket. I set out to test this jacket on some local front range trails close to my house.
Technical Features of the Metro
- A thin 2 layer fabric with seam taped design called Artex 2.5. The Seam Tape is highly effective in keeping out any moisture.
- Reinforced material on shoulder areas provides additional padding for your hydration and storage pack, or your ‘briefcase’ when commuting.
- Asymmetrical zipper design to reduce chaffing on neck. It’s the little things that make you realize how critical a little thing like this would be. As you can tell, I am currently sporting a beard, and the zipstop prevents any whiskers from getting caught.
- Special designed easy access rear pockets
- Core vents and upper back “exhaust pipe” vent for airflow without billowing. I’ll talk about that more later, but a great feature to create some airflow.
- Trim cut for reduced wind resistance and reduced bunching when hunched over in a more aggressive position.
- Articulated elbows and dropped tail for better fit in a riding position.
- Reflective accents on back seam and left sleeve allows for some visibility. Proper lighting while riding in the dark would probably be a good idea, but anything helps.
Showers Pass Metro Performance
The Showers Pass Metro Jacket is a light weight standout jacket. I have had other cycling jackets in the past that get the job done. None of them have the features this one does, and its in a much less bulky design. The fit of the Metro is one of my favorite aspects with its next to skin feel and contoured fit. It just feels right and with it’s three vents (one on the upper back and one on each side) it dumps excess heat out without compromising warmth. Plus when you’re in the riding position the Metro does not billow out like some of my other jackets.
The Metro had some features I noticed pretty quickly especially when I started to warm up. I quickly opened the back exhaust pipe vent to provide some airflow allowing me to cool off ever so slightly which was great. Even at higher speeds, the jacket did not blow up like a parachute. When I needed to grab a snack out of the lower back pockets, it was really easy to open without having to stop and wrestle with hard to reach center pockets. This can be issue especially while wearing thick winter gloves. A very nice thing indeed. These touches really made me appreciate the Metro’s thoughtful design!
The Artex 2.5 material does a great job keeping you nice and dry in a very thin 2 layer design. Showers Pass designed the jacket for commuting to the job or just a quick ride to the store, but I found the Metro very capable out on the trail as well. The look is very impressive with its tailored cut and subtle color combo. It would work and look great no matter where you go! With the quick access rear pocket to the large media pocket (my Galaxy 5s phone fit great) you will have plenty storage for any ride. And don’t worry about riding at night with the reflective bottom seam and left sleeve, you’ll be seen by any motorist!
My final thoughts on the Showers Metro Jacket
Showers Pass was a company I’d never heard of, but after testing the Metro this company seems to be an authority on harsh weather gear. The Metro is one of those products I really get excited to test, since I ride in all weather conditions. It is nice to see how quality products hold up. I feel this jacket is one of those purchases you will make and say “why did I not try this earlier” you can spend a lot of money on high end equipment and not be satisfied with it, but the Metro is a safe bet! I loved the fact that the Metro is so thin but keeps you quite warm, dry and happy. With all the features you get, like the media pocket, easy access rear zippered pocket’s and venting, the Showers Pass Metro is worth the price!
The Metro retails for $199.00 and can be seen at www.showerspass.com