Joby Action Battery Grip Review
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you have ever filmed with a GoPro, you know that battery life rates from terrible to mediocre, at best. Up until this point the best way to combat that has been to carry around several extra batteries, which causes you to stop filming, hoping that you don’t miss any exciting shots, while swap out batteries. But now the good people at Joby, who are best known for their amazing tripods, have come up with a solution to this problem, in the form of the Joby Action Battery Grip.
The Joby Action Battery Grip is a lightweight, compact rechargeable battery grip stick that allows you to mount and power your action video cameras, smartphones or point and shoots, without having to worry about changing the battery mid shot. It has a comfortable soft rubberized grip that allows for easy no slip carrying. The top of the grip has a standard GoPro mount, but also comes with an adapter that offers up the standard 1/4″ – 20 mount. The bottom of the grip has the 1/4″ – 20 screw hole allowing for a multitude of different mounting options (I will get into this below).
- Triple the life of your action cam. This grip has a built-in battery that can re-charge your action camera fully two times while you’re out on your adventure.
- Comes with USB charging cable. A shorter cord makes it easy to charge your GoPro while in use. Even charge any accessory – including your smartphone.
- Re-sizable tether for an added and secure hold. The removable wrist strap provides extra security against drops.
- Bottom 1⁄4″-20 mount for numerous mounting options. Mount to a tripod for an eye-level, hands-free set-up, or to the UltraPlate 208 to create a powered mini rig.
- Works with any action cam with 1⁄4″-20 design. Comes with built-in, standard GoPro mount and thumbscrew, plus includes a top pin for use with any other action camera (1⁄4″-20 screw).
The Action Camera Grip is equipped with a 2600 mah rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Charging time comes in right around 3 hours to get it fully charged. Charging is done through a USB cable with plug in options on the grip of a standard USB plug or a mini USB plug. The grip has a LED indicator light that displays red when charging and turns green when it is full charged. Joby states that the battery grip will extend battery life by three times, and with my testing over the course of a few weeks and with many different cameras, that is a pretty accurate assessment for the GoPro and the Sony Action cameras. When it is used to charge smartphones or other electronics it will vary greatly depend on what device you are charging.
The best part about the Action Battery Grip is the wide range of mounting options, below are just a few of the variations that I came up with.
The adaptability of the Battery Grip is amazing. And if you want to keep your footage rolling longer without having to change out the battery, the Joby Action Battery Grip is the way to go. Attach the Grip to your GoPro, Sony or other action camera when you’re not planning on stopping and don’t want to miss a second of the jaw dropping action.
For more information or to purchase, visit: www.joby.com