Gifts for the Outdoor Adventurer
For people who enjoy exploring the outdoors, there’s always another piece of equipment that can be added to their gear arsenal. From the indispensable to the thoughtful, these gift ideas are designed to help your adventurous friends find enjoyment in all that is the backcountry.
Swiftwick Pursuit Hike Socks
Blended Footbed, Dry Performance
The Swiftwick Pursuit Hike Socks offer lasting support and comfort on epically long hikes and backpacking trips. Its merino wool blend is not only impressively soft, but provides moisture and temperature-regulating properties that keep feet cool and dry on the trail. The extra cushion underfoot and seamless toe design gives extra comfort where you need it, while the dual high-performance fibers maximize durability for long lasting wear.
- Dual high-performance fibers maximize durability
- Footbed Cushion Design
- Seamless toe eliminates friction and irritation
- Proud supporter of the American Hiking Society
- Available in Light, Medium and Heavy Cushion
- MSRP Starting at $21.99
For more information on the Pursuit Hike or other Swiftwick products, visit swiftwick.com
Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System
Clean drinking water is available anytime, anywhere with the Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System as it provides fast, dependable and verisitial water purification, all the while weighing in just over two ounces. That means you can pack quick filtering power without sacrificing weight or space on your backpacking trips. Not only does this filter protect you from bacteria and parasites, it easily attaches to the included 16-ounce reusable squeeze drinking pouch, and can be adapted to fit on plastic bottles and hydration bladders. In a pinch, you can even use the included straw to drink directly from a water source. And, more importantly, no tools are needed to disassemble the Mini Water Filtration System as it comes with a plunger for on-the-go cleaning. The Mini can be cleaned and reused almost indefinitely (filter rated up to 100,000 gallons) with no expensive cartridges to replace… ever.
- Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness
- High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand; weighs just 2 ounces; 0.1 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
- Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
- Removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera, and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
- Filter rated up to 100,000 gallons; includes 16-ounce reusable squeeze pouch, 7-inch drinking straw, and cleaning plunger
- MSRP $24.95
For more information on the Mini Water Filtration System and other Sawyer products, please visit sawyer.com
GSI Santoku Knife Set
Convenient Food Prepping
The 7-piece GSI Santoku Knife set includes utensils for slicing, dicing, chopping, cutting, prepping and paring food: a 4″ paring knife, 6″ Santoku and 6″ serrated knife, a cutting board, bottle for soap, and a two sided dish cloth to keep everything tidy. The blades are crafted from high-quality stainless steel for durability, and the handles are made of ergonomic rubber offering superior grip and comfort. Weighing in at just under 2 pounds, this compact set includes a nylon case to keep all prep gear neatly organized and easy to transport, whether you are prepping food at a the local campground or miles into the wilderness.
- Compact, stainless steel blades are perfectly rockered for kitchen prep and any other camp use
- Protective safety covers ensure safe handling and preserve sharpness
- Ergonomic, rubber handles provide a sure grip
- Two-sided cutting board with meat and vegetable icons helps to prevent cross-contamination
- Quick-drying, microfiber cleaning cloth has a soft, non-abrasive side for delicate items and a rough, scouring side for scrubbing.
- Durable ballistic nylon outer case keeps everything organized
- MSRP $34.95
For more information on the Santoku Knife set or other GSI products, visit rei.com/gsioutdoors
Hillsound Armadillo LT Gaiter
Waterproof Breathable Protection
Trekking around in the great outdoors means the inevitable encounters with briar bushes, burs, mud and snow, all hoping to disrupt adventures and get into boots, rip pants, and be a general nuisance. Armed with the Hillsound’s Armadillo LT Gaiters the intrusions can be put to an end. These lightweight, quiet, waterproof, and durable gaiters protect pant legs from ripping and keep feet dry and protected from the elements. The Armadillo LT is comprised of a waterproof and breathable upper made of Flexia’s three-layer fabric that is contour-fitting and lightweight. This stretch fabric ensures a snug fit that doesn’t pinch or fall down. The lower is a 1000 denier and high-density nylon, providing supreme protection from the elements and feature a YKK waterproof zipper making it easy to get the gaiter on and off. The Armadillo LT gaiters keep mud, trail debris, and snow out of socks and boots, making them a solid choice for year-round hiking and snowshoeing.
- Waterproof to 20,000 mm
- Breathability rating: 6 RET, 15.000 + g
- YKK zipper brings the gaiter close to the leg
- DWR coating will remain intact for up to 50 washes
- Weight: 259g (XS); 270g (S); 300g (M); 315g (L); 324g (XL)
- MSRP $49
For more information on the Armadillo LT Gaiter or other Hillsound products, visit hillsound.com
Patagonia Provisions Gift Boxes
Looks Good, Tastes Good, Does Good
In 2012, Yvon Chouinard launched Patagonia Provisions to offer ethically and sustainably sourced delicious food products. Patagonia Provisions has been reexamining the best practices in food sourcing, working with like minded advocates and producers to find solutions to the important environmental issues facing the food industry. A box of healthy, sustainable, easy to prepare food is great for anyone on your list. The Patagonia Provisions Gift Boxes include food items such as salmon, buffalo jerky, grains, seed snacks, soup + chili and much more.
- Ethically Sourced
- Ready to Eat / Easy to Prepare
- Something for Everyone
- Starting at MSRP $48
For more information or to purchase a Patagonia Provision Gift Box, visit patagoniaprovisions.com
Ridge Merino Heist Wool Hoodie
The Ridge Merino Heist Wool Hoodie has the standard features expected in a mid layer, including a slim and stretchy fit, but it incorporates Ridge Merino’s incredible moisture wicking, antimicrobial, and breathable qualities. It has other friendly features as well, like discreet thumb holes, a low profile hood, and a high zip to keep the chilly mountain air out when heading down the trail. The slim fit wears comfortably thanks to the flatlocked seams, and the hoodie can be worn under a shell for added warmth or on its own when the temperature climbs.
- Natural, sustainable and biodegradable 100% Merino Wool 270g terry
- 1/2 zip
- Low-profile hood
- Flatlocked seams
- Discreet thumb holes
- Chest zip pocket (fits standard phones)
- Machine washable
- Slim fit for layering
- MSRP $99.95
For more information on the Heist Merino Wool Hoodie or other Ridge Merino products, visit ridgemerino.com
Petzl Reactik + Headlamp
Rechargeable Smart Headlamp
With 300 lumens of power, the Petzl REACTIK + headlamp offers outdoor enthusiasts a compact, intelligent, connected, rechargeable lighting solution. Thanks to the MyPetzl Light mobile app, users can check the remaining battery life and adapt the performance of the headlamp to any activity, such as trail running, mountaineering, trekking, and backpacking, by simply downloading the profiles provided or create personalized ones. During the activity the REACTIK + headlamp analyzes the ambient light and adjusts brightness instantly to the users requirements. Look from the trail to a GPS device, the headlamp instantly adjusts its brightness from a powerful beam to a close-range light. Battery life is optimized thanks to the reactive lighting technology that automatically adjusts its brightness based off distance in order to provide a longer burn time, more visual comfort, and reducing headlamp manipulations. A truly smart headlamp that is perfect for any after dark activity.
- Reactive Lighting Technology
- Optimized battery life
- Connects to Bluetooth
- MyPetzl Light mobile app:
- access remaining burn time any time
- adjust brightness and burn time
- activate and create lighting profiles to suit the activity
- headlamp comes with multi-activity lighting profile
- four additional profiles available with the MyPetzl Light app: trail running, mountaineering, trekking, backpacking
- headlamp connects through Bluetooth® Smart (can be deactivated)
- the lamp can still be used without the app
- access remaining burn time any time
- Rechargeable – 1800 mAh Lithium-Ion battery:
– universal charging with micro USB port
– charge indicator and blue signal for Bluetooth® Smart activation
– can be replaced with standard battery pack (not included) for use in remote areas
- Performance headlamp for numerous activities including trail running, mountaineering, trekking, and backpacking
- MSRP $109.95
For more information on the REACTIK + headlamp or other Petzl products, visit petzl.com
Hands Free Walkie Talkie
The BONX Grip is a bluetooth enabled earpiece that connects to the BONX smartphone app to facilitate unique group conversations, which only transmits voice when a user speaks and is optimized for outdoor environments with unstable cellular reception. Dual microphones with multilayer wind and noise reduction technology ensure crystal-clear speech, and there is no distance limit, thanks to data transmission over standard cellular networks. BONX Grip is uniquely designed to stay put during rigorous outdoor activities, and maintains maximum comfort with a choice of three different sized earbuds. The Grip offers one of the most robust group-talk systems designed especially for outdoor sports enthusiasts. All you have to do is speak and within a fraction of a second, the earpiece picks up your voice with the built-in dual microphones, passes it to the smartphone app via Bluetooth, and the app sends the voice data to everybody in the connected group via cellular network. The BONX Grip is ideal for any outdoor activity where hands free group communication is a must.
- Group Talk – create a private group and easily talk with multiple friends at once.
- Unlimited Range – communicate everywhere your cell phone has access to service.
- Rugged Design – built to IPX5 standards BONX is water and shock-resistant.
- Wireless – leave your phone in the safety of a pocket and hands free, voice activated operation means no tangled mess of wires to deal with.
- Smart Design – noise cancellation, voice activation and an ergonomic fit designed to keep BONX securely attached while still allowing ambient noise so you’re always aware of what’s going on around you.
- Functions as bluetooth headset for music and calls
- Various sizes provide a secure and comfortable fit during extended use.
- Two large buttons allow for easy mute and volume control.
- Long-life battery can easily last throughout the day.
- MSRP $139.95
For more information on the BONX Grip, visit bonx.co
MSR EVO Snowshoe Kit
Winter Exploration Kit
MSR’s Evo Snowshoe Kit delivers great performance at an exceptional price, starting with the Evo Trail snowshoes that offer an easy to use, sure footed grip, two DynaLock Trail poles that are lightweight, but incredible durable, and a carry pack for organization and is also hydration compatibility. The Evo Trail Snowshoe is designed for the recreational snowshoer, providing dependable functionality and durability. The traction bars on the snowshoe are molded right into the UniBody deck, supplying a reliable grip on modest hills and icy trails, while the easy-to-use DuoFit bindings offering essential foot control and all around comfort. The trail poles are versatile 2-section aluminum poles, with easy, secure DynaLock adjustability, and comfortable, ergonomic grips. This value packed kit ensures anyone will be fully prepared to dive into the world of snowshoeing.
- All-in-One Kit: Perfect for spontaneous winter adventures and family recreation.
- Evo Trail Snowshoes: Durable, proven design with steel traction provides reliable grip, while easy-to-use DuoFit™ bindings offer essential foot control and comfort.
- DynaLock Trail Poles: Two-section aluminum poles with easy, secure DynaLock adjustability, and comfortable, ergonomic grips.
- Carry/Storage Pack: Built with rugged coated nylon panels to resist abrasion, and a wide-mouth roll-top for easy access to contents. Features removable foam seat, internal zippered pocket, hydration compatibility, and loops for pole attachments.
- MSRP $199.95
For more information on the EVO Snowshoe Kit or other MSR products, visit msrgear.com
When adventures extend beyond cellular coverage, Spot X keeps users connected to family, friends and emergency responders. The Spot X is a 2-way satellite messaging device that offers messaging capabilities with an onboard backlit keyboard, GPS location tracking, social media linking and direct communications with emergency services in one portable, lightweight unit. Spot X even provides a personal mobile U.S. number so others can message users directly from their cell phone or other SMS devices at any time. For those outdoor enthusiasts in your life that move from one off the grid adventure to the next, this is a wonderful gift of safety, that also offers peace of mind.
- 2-Way Satellite Messaging: Send and receive messages and short emails with family, friends or colleagues beyond cellular.
- S.O.S.: Emergency notification and direct 2-way message communication with 24/7 Search and Rescue services through the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center in the event of a life-threatening emergency.
- GPS Tracking: Waypoints tracked via Google Maps™ at intervals of 2.5, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes.
- Check In: Users can let contacts know they are “OK” with the push of a single button.
- Post to Social: Link to Facebook and Twitter accounts to share adventures with followers.
- Navigation: Built-in compass and programmable waypoints.
- Keyboard: Easy to use illuminated QWERTY keyboard that is usable in any light setting.
- Battery Life: SPOT X has a rechargeable battery averaging a battery life of 10 days when tracking in tracking 10 minute intervals.
Spot X has a MSRP of $249.99 with two different service subscription options available, either a monthly Flex Plan or annual contract plan. Flex Plans are best for seasonal use and only require a one-month subscription. Annual plans are perfect for get-up-and-go year ’round use with an added benefit of monthly payments. More pricing and coverage details are available at FindMeSPOT.com/.