Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Buff ThermoNet Hat and Buff
Holds the Heat, Not the Moisture
When the temps drop but you still want to hit the trails, be sure to bring along the Buff ThermoNet Buff and Hat. Constructed with breathable, durable PrimaLoft® yarn that is four times warmer than regular microfiber, this cool-to-cold weather hat and buff were designed for high aerobic activities. The performance material wicks moisture and disperses it for rapid evaporation to keep your head and neck warm and comfortable without overheating. With a fast drying and lightweight design, the Buff Thermonet series will easily become a staple in your cold weather outdoor kit.
- Featuring PrimaLoft yarn
- High-thermal insulation: mimics the warmth of down
- 4 times warmer than microfiber
- High warmth-to-weight ratio means you don’t need bulk to stay warm
- Moisture management
- Seamless with bonded ends
- MSRP $27
For more information on the ThermoNet Hat and Buff, or other Buff products, visit www.amazon.com/buff.
Under Armor Convertible ColdGear Reactor Run Gloves
Finally, a pair of running gloves that adapt to the weather—and you. An innovative lining works to warm you up when your hands are cold, then cool you off before you start to overheat. The Under Armor Convertible ColdGear Reactor Run Glove is a highly functional piece for winter runs. Constructed from UA Storm bonded fleece, the integrated, stowable wind mitten blocks out the harsh winter air while the stretchy, ColdGear Reactor lining underneath maintains breathability and warmth. Dual-layer fabric between fingers and an elastic cuff provide freedom of movement for your hands, and the flexible fabric helps get a proper fit. A Tech Touch print on the thumbs and fingers allows you to adjust your music or tracker without stopping to take your gloves off, and reflective details make the gloves more visible when your running after dark. The Under Armor Convertible ColdGear Reactor Run Gloves will keep you prepared for dramatic temperature changes all the way down to cold wintry, wind blastings.
- Bonded fleece construction with dual-layer fabric between fingers for a breathable, ultra-warm feel, with no extra weight
- ColdGear® Reactor lining adapts to your activity level for the right breathability & warmth for whatever you’re doing
- UA Storm finish repels rain & snow without sacrificing breathability
- Tech Touch print on thumbs & fingers allow you to use touch screen devices without taking your gloves off
- Silicone traction pattern covers the palm for enhanced grip
- Extra soft Speedwipe™ fleece placed on back of index finger & thumb
- Lightweight hood can be stashed away within glove, or pulled over fingers for an added layer of warmth & protection against the elements
- Reflective UA logo, taping & print over hood for increased safety & visibility during low-light training
- Extended wrist cuffs for extra warmth & a snug, comfortable fit
- MSRP $39.99
For more information on the Reactor Run Gloves or other UA products visit, amazon.com/underarmour.
Daehlie Tights Winter
Handle Cold Weather in Stride
Windproof, water-resistant, and extremely breathable, the Daehlie Tights Winter lets you run in the elements with comfort and high-level performance. A stretchy wool fabric lets you cut through blustery winds and shed light precipitation as you log the miles, while the form-fitting design lets you move freely in next to skin comfort. The front section, down to the knees, is covered with a thin layer of wind and water resistant softshell material and mesh panels on the sides provide optimum mobility and a good fit. The adjustable elastic waistband secures just the right fit every time you pull this tight on, and and reflective details give increased visibility in the dark. From running around the neighborhood to crushing the trails, the Tights Winter from Daehlie will keep your legs comfortable in cold conditions.
- Woolstretch main fabric
- Reflective details
- Windproof front
- Slim fit
- Mesh insert in sides for better fit
- MSRP $130
For more information on the Tights Winter and other Daehlie products, visit backcountry.com/dahlie.
Brooks Notch Thermal Long Sleeve
Heavy on warmth. Light on weight.
Get next level warmth in a lightweight layer with the Brooks Men’s Notch Thermal Long Sleeve. The lightly brushed, ribbed, thermal interior will keep you warm without adding bulky weight. The articulated seams deliver a fit that moves with your body, and thumbholes in the cuffs keep the sleeves on lockdown. The DriLayer fabric wicks sweat away to keep you comfortable, dry and feeling light on your feet. When you hit the road in the cooler weather the Brooks Notch Thermal Long Sleeve Shirt offers the protection you need on those chillier runs.
- Notched fleece interior that captures warmth for additional insulation
- Thumbholes Design
- UPF 50
- DriLayer Threshold 90% polyester/10% spandex fleece
- MSRP $75
For more information on the Notch Thermal Long Sleeve and other Brooks Running products, visit rei.com/brooksrunning.
Under Armor ColdGear Reactor Run Balaclava
The Under Armor ColdGear Reactor Run Balaclava is made for those who stay active through Winters coldest months. Made with UA’s ColdGear Reactor midweight fabric, this material works to regulate your body temperature while you increase your heart rate in colder temperatures, and is moisture wicking to keep you dry and warm as you sweat. When the winds begin to pick up, pull on the balaclava-style face mask and tuck in for extra warmth. The slim fit is designed to comfortably layer underneath shells and mid-layers. The unwavering protection and comfort from the Under Armor ColdGear Reactor Run Balaclava makes this hoodie a must-have layer to battle the cold.
- Fitted: Next-to-skin without the squeeze.
- Built-in balaclava-style face mask with laser-perforated ventilation so you can breathe easily
- ColdGear® Reactor adapts to your activity level for the right breathability & warmth for what you’re doing
- Midweight fabric has a unique hex-shaped pattern that traps a lot of warmth but still breathes as you run
- 4-way stretch construction moves better in every direction
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Anti-odor technology prevents the growth of odor-causing microbes
- Performance thumbholes
- Reflective logos deliver greater visibility on low-light runs
- 86% Polyester/14% Elastane
- MSRP $99.99
For more information on the Reactor Run Balaclava or other UA products visit, backcountry.com/underarmour.
adidas Power Air Fleece Jacket
Comfortable Micro Climate
Early morning runs can be pretty cold when the seasons change, but that doesn’t mean you have to skip them. The adidas Power Air Fleece Jacket works wonders for staying warm and dry. Polartec Power Air fabric helps regulate your temperature and wick sweat. This cozy fleece jacket moves effortlessly with you during trail runs and cross-training exercises alike. Its athletic fit trims bulk and the zippered pockets at the hips and on the sleeve store your ID, cash, phone, headlamp, or whatever else you might need when you’re facing cold weather. The cold weather won’t send you running back inside when you are donning the adidas Power Air Fleece Jacket.
- Polartec Power Air is the first non-brushed low shedding insulated material from Polartec that sheds up to 5x times less than Polartec’s premium brushed fleece
- 4-way stretch fabric with raised surface structures knitted into a single fabric forming comfortable micro climate
- Adjustable hood for best protection and improved comfort
- 2 side pockets with zippers keep your belongings safe
- Center front full zip
- MSRP $180
For more information on the Power Air Fleece Jacket or other adidas products, visit amazon.com
ProViz REFLECT360 Running Jacket
Defy the Darkness
The Proviz REFLECT360 running jacket is sleek, good looking and functional. The reflectivity makes you stand out when running on the roads during hours of darkness or poor light. The fabric used for the REFLECT360 range is a highly technical reflective fabric, that during daylight it is a modest grey color and at night, when the fabric picks up vehicle headlights, gives impressive glow. It weighs in at a feather-light 170 g (size variable) so that you are not weighed down by an over-bearing jacket. The REFLECT360 running jacket has a super comfortable soft-mesh back and under arms that allows for good airflow and all the heat that you build up to escape. When you’re on a mission to get your run in before the sun comes up, the ProViz REFLECT360 Running Jacket is the perfect companion to bring along to ensure your safety.
- 100% reflective outer-shell
- Rear/Side/Under arm mesh for enhanced breathability
- Two side pockets
- Lightweight – 170g (size variable)
- Zip guard and lock zip
- Elastic waist
- MSRP $140
For more information on the REFLECT360 Running Jacket or other Proviz products, visit provizsports.com
Nathan Halo Fire Runners’ Headlamp
See and Be Seen
The first ever headlamp designed specifically for runners, Nathan’s Halo Fire Headlamp is packed with features that will make your early morning and night runs safer. This lightweight, multi-beam, rechargeable headlamp offers over 280 lumens of clean, eye-pleasing light. Two down-angled proximity LED’s light the path at your feet, while a powerful spotlight shines ahead. There are five lighting modes – low, medium, high, sprint, & strobe – and the maximum burn time tops out at 22 hours. Changing light settings has never been easier with the touch-free Halo Fire’s RunWave technology – no more fumbling for buttons, simply wave your hand in front of the lights senor to cycle through it’s modes. The Halo Fire also communicates your presence to drivers via AutoStrobe, as the on-device sensor reacts to cars’ headlights and triggers the safety strobe mode. As an added measure of safety, the comfortable head strap has Nathan’s very own BlackLight material in it, offering a reflective hit to make you even more visible to drivers. If you are out there pushing it before and after dusk be sure you can see and be seen with the Nathan Halo Fire Runners’ Headlamp.
- Rechargeable headlamp designed for runners
- 288 lumens with 5 lighting modes
- Run-Right Light™ combination of Spotlight & Floodlight
- RunWave™ technology to adjust settings touch-free
- Auto-Strobe™ communicates runner’s presence to drivers
- LED: 3 LEDs – 288+ max Lumens
- Battery: Lithium-ion Polymer Rechargeable via USB
- Burn Time: 22 hours
- Water Resistance: IPX4 – Weather resistant
- Lighting Modes:
- Low – 20 lumens
- Med – 80 lumens
- Hi – 240 lumens
- Sprint – 288 lumens
- Strobe – 120 lumens
- MSRP $119.99
For more information on the Halo Fire Runners’ Headlamp or other Nathan products, visit nathansports.com
UA Sport Wireless React Headphones
Control your Sound. Push your Limits.
The UA Sport Wireless React headphones empowers runners to train harder, longer, and safer. With a secure, high-performance design and JBL Charged Sound, these aluminum earbuds are built for motivation. Featuring UA Storm waterproof technology with an IPX7 rating, these are durable for any workout or elements that may come your way. Hear your surroundings with Bionic Hearing featuring TalkThru Technology to quickly interact with your running buddy, and AmbientAware Technology to hear your surroundings for increased safety. With Sport Flex Fit Ear Tips, the UA Sport Wireless React delivers a secure and comfortable fit that stays in place through your run. A 9-hour battery powers a week’s worth of training on a single charge and with a seamless Bluetooth connection, you’ll be tuned in to any environment.
- Easy-to-connect Bluetooth technology delivers cable-free, zero-distraction performance
- JBL® Charged Sound for bold sound tuned for sport with rich bass to crush your workout
- Bionic Hearing, a unique JBL sound & mic technology allows athletes to still hear surroundings with Talk-Thru & Ambient Aware
- Talk-Thru technology drops music down & turns on speech-optimized, noise-cancelling mics so you can easily talk between sets without removing your headphones
- Ambient Aware technology allows you to continue to listen to your music during your workout, but still be aware of your surroundings
- UA Stormproof waterproof technology with an IPX7 rating for ultimate water & sweat protection during your toughest workouts
- Winged ear tips that are easy to use for maximum security
- Magnetic aluminum earbuds for convenient portability
- Up to 9-hours of battery life from a 2-hour charge
- Bluetooth® wireless
- 4-button mic controller
- Durable fabric cable with shirt clip & cable cinch for added security
- Includes: 3 sizes of ear tips, 3 winged ear tip enhancers, zippered carrying case & charging cable
- MSRP $129
For more information on the Sport Wireless React Headphones or other UA products, visit jbl.com
View Comments (2)
Great reviews Mark! I've been running for quite some time now, and I find the best accessory (especially in the cold) is a gilet - do you have any recommendations?
Thank you, and thanks for the inquiry. I have yet to use a gilet during running. Which is mainly just a personal preference thing, I do use the Smartwool Smartloft 120 Jacket, which is as close as I have come and it works great for my winter runs. As for recommendations, it is hard to give any based on the fact that I haven't tried a gilet, however it would be hard to go wrong with a piece from Smartwool, Patagonia, Salomon, Marmot or Arc'teryx.