Altra Releases Limited Edition Escalante Racer for Chicago Fans
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Altra introduces the Escalante Racer – Chicago, to commemorate racing in the Windy City with a red, blue and gray color scheme and a skyline silhouette on the lateral heel. The medial side features a large “18” to represent the year along with cursive “Chicago” lettering.
This limited edition shoe is a lighter, speedier version of the brand’s award-winning Escalante road shoe, made to tackle big city races.
The Escalante Racer has a specially engineered knit upper for optimal cornering and quicker movements on the race course, with a breathable sock-like fit. Altra’s EGO™ midsole has been “race-tuned” to deliver more energy return for a highly responsive ride. Altra’s Foot Pod™ technology maps the bones and tendons of your foot to provide more natural flexibility.
The Racer has a 22 mm stack height and weighs just 6.8 ounces for men and 5.7 ounces for women. This racer is available for men and women in the same style and colorway.
- FOOTSHAPE™ TOE BOX – Altra’s FootShape™ Toe Box allows the toes to relax and spread out naturally and the big toe to remain in a straight position for maximum stability and power.
- ZERO DROP™ PLATFORM – Every Altra shoe features a Zero Drop™ Platform that places the heel and forefoot the same distance from the ground for natural alignment and a low-impact landing.
- ALTRA EGO™ – Dual-Nature midsole compound with a responsive, yet soft feel for increased energy return.
- FOOT POD – An outsole technology that actually maps the bones and tendons of your foot to help it bend and move naturally.
- Weight: Mens’ 6.8 oz. / 193 g Women’s 5.7 oz. / 162 g
- Insole: 5 mm Contour Footbed
- Platform: Fully Cushioned Zero Drop™ platform and FootShape™ toe box
- Stack Height: 22 mm
- Midsole: Race-tuned Altra EGO™ with InnerFlex™
- Outsole: FootPod™ Technology
- Upper: Engineered Knit
- New Altra EGO™ Midsole Compound
- Engineered Knit Upper
- Sock-like Upper Fit
- Metatarsal Mapping
- Performance Last for Fast Training and Racing
The Escalante Racer – Chicago retails for $140 and is available on www.AltraRunning.com and at select specialty running retailers.
Altra’s next limited edition city-inspired Escalante Racer is New York City, coming October 2018.
While working at a running store, Altra founder Golden Harper was frustrated that modern running shoe technology caused poor running form and had not decreased running injuries. His passion to create a shoe that followed the science produced Altra’s FootShape™ toe box, Zero Drop™ platform and Fit4Her™ female-specific shoes. Since its founding in 2011, Harper and co-founder Brian Beckstead have grown Altra from one to 30 shoe styles, winning multiple Editor’s Choice awards and distribution in more than 60 countries.