New Stryd Pod has Wind Capturing Technology for Runners
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now, runners can use wind to their advantage by measuring effort when running into headwinds, with tailwinds, or when drafting in any race scenario.
Stryd, a leader in run power technology, announced their next generation Stryd foot pod today. The new Stryd is the first tool built for runners to measure the energy cost of overcoming wind and air resistance with new and patent-pending technology. Now, runners will know how their running power adjusts when running into a headwind, the power they save when running with a tailwind, or the power saved when drafting off a pack of runners. Stryd gives runners the ability to turn the wind they encounter in everyday training and racing into a measurable and performance enhancing force.
“As runners, we know that perfect pacing is the key to achieving our best in both training and racing. Stryd has long enabled runners to maintain proper running intensity under varying conditions, for example, whether on hills or flats. However, the task complicates even further when the wind rolls in,” said Jamie Williamson, Stryd CEO. “Now, Stryd goes a step further and makes it possible to continue to pace your run perfectly, even in imperfect and windy weather conditions.”
Stryd initially gained wide recognition in the running space for pioneering the power concept in running and for its ability to outperform GPS pace in terms of accuracy and responsiveness. The new Stryd promises to offer benefits of similar magnitude to marathoners and endurance runners in their pursuit of running faster. By accounting for real-time headwinds, the new Stryd will ensure that runners will not run so fast to burn themselves out but also ensure that they run to their capability so they do not leave time out on the race course. By accounting for real-time tailwinds, runners will know that they are benefiting from the aiding wind. And, by accounting for real-time drafting effects, the new Stryd has the potential to forever change how elite and amateur runners approach strategic racing.
The new Stryd features a suite of new sensor technology including:
- The entire pod structure (including the clip), has been designed to capture wind. The patent-pending external shell, and internal components consume and analyze in real-time the air and wind you are running through.
- Added temperature and humidity sensors will enable you to use the environment to your advantage.
- Added magnetometer to enable several new and exciting and planned-for capabilities, including improved accuracy (to be enabled in future updates).
- 64x expanded storage in Stryd will enable both longer data collections for your ultra training and racing as well as much higher precision data collection.
- Stryd’s antenna range has been greatly increased so you can rely on each and every data point coming through, no matter your phone or sports watch.
The new Stryd is available now for a MSRP $219.00 (including free shipping) from Stryd’s new international ecommerce store, launching with the ability for consumers to pay in USD, CAD, British Pounds, Euros, and AUD. The new international storefront will make it easy for consumers around the world to join the running power revolution. Orders will begin shipping at the end of July. To learn more, visit store.stryd.com.