Pearl Izumi SynchroFloat 4 Review
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The newly updated SyncroFloat running shoe from Pearl Izumi is the perfect shoe for the neutral to mild over pronator who is not looking to compromise comfort. Pearl Izumi made a couple of great improvements to an already loved running shoe this year with the SyncroFloat IV.
First, I need to tell you a little about the SKYDEX technology Pearl Izumi has placed in the heel crash pad that makes the SyncroFloat so lightweight, cushioned, & durable. SKYDEX uses a twin hemisphere technology that is able to absorb more shock in less space. SKYDEX is used for a variety of different things besides running shoes, some of which include: vehicle seats, helmet, knee, & elbow pads, tent flooring, and combat training wall padding. Pearl Izumi uses this material to absorb the shock of the runners heel strike. SKYDEX is able to make the SyncroFloat extremely cushioned without adding any extra weight. For those who have run in Pearl Izumi’s before, you already know how well this technology works!
New this year on the forefoot, Pearl Izumi uses 1:1 Energy Foam to cushion and absorb shock. The Energy Foam is used to return the runners energy back to the runner instead of losing it to the ground. Also new this year, Pearl Izumi replaced their EVA insole with an Ortholite sock liner. Ortholite technology helps combat unwanted odors by wicking away unwanted moisture. Lately in Colorado, the streets have been quite wet with the snow melting. This shoe is very breathable and when the water eventually seeped through my shoes, my socks did not become saturated and my feet stayed nice and warm.
I noticed right away that the SyncroFloat IV is extremely comfortable and lightweight. The SyncroFloat III ( Women’s Size 8 ) weighed in at 12 ounces, while the SyncroFloat IV only weighs in at 10.4 oz. The SyncroFloat IV is very stable while running and offers just the right amount of flexibility. I have a high arch and this shoe was able to fit my arch very well. I cannot say that about too many shoes. Usually the arch is in the wrong place or is the wrong height. Great arch support is always a plus! The SKYDEX crash pad is extremely cushioning and offers wonderful heel stability, comfort, and spring.
Overall, the SyncroFloat IV is a great running shoe for a person who does not want to give up cushioning or comfort. For more information on the SynchroFloat 4 and other Pi products, visit www.pearlizumi.com.
- -1:1 Seamless Upper creates an unparalleled fit with a seam-free interior
- -1:1 360-degree Lacing anatomically conforms to the foot for a tailored fit regardless of foot shape
- -Half-length low-profile Syncro Stability Frame
- -NEW 1:1 Energy Foam cushions the forefoot upon impact
- -SKYDEX heel crash pad
- -Hybrid blown rubber and carbon rubber forefoot with carbon rubber heel crash pad
- -Segmented forefoot for a smooth, efficient ride
- -NEW Ortholite sock liner for amazing step-in comfort and long-lasting cushioning
- -NEW 100% recycled lace webbing and laces
- -Heel/Toe offset: 24.0mm/12.0mm
- -Men’s: Size 10 weights 12.6 ounces (357 grams)
- -Women’s: Size 8 weights 10.4 ounces (295 grams)