Women’s Merrell CTR Cruise Review
The guys at ActiveGearReview tested out the CTR Cruise by Merrell earlier this season. Now it’s time for a female take on the women’s version of the trail runner. The first time I put the Cruise on I thought, “Wow, this is a comfortable yet burly shoe!” After wearing the Cruise on a not so technical trail run, followed by a trip to the grocery store, and a long in town walk with the dogs, my feet and legs still felt fresh and I didn’t feel the need to take my feet out of the shoes ASAP. Which as you know, is typically the case for most runners post workout. While running, the heel region really impressed me; the heel counter truly cupped my heel and the cushioning was exactly what I needed on the dry-hard packed trail while striding down hill. The arch provided adequate support while the lasts in the shoe helped to provide a snug fit over the midfoot. The forefoot doesn’t tout nearly as much cushioning as the heel, which can be felt when tackling a more technical trail that calls for you to be constantly on your toes and responding quickly.
The Cruise has a sticky rubber outsole that performed best on well-groomed or higher traffic trails; demanding descents and slick-rock were not handled as well by the Cruise. These shoes also tout a DWR finish, which is a nice touch for variable conditions. However, no matter the finish, your feet will get wet while running in spring conditions due to snow/ice melt in the high country (unless of course you have waterproof shoes and gaiters or avoid puddles like the plague!).
The Cruise are on the bulkier side as well, weighing in at 10.8 ounces/ shoe or 21.6 ounces/pair. If you are looking for a light-weight trail trainer or race shoe for technical terrain, then these shoes are not for you. However, the Cruise may be an option for gals who like a shoe that can not only tackle the trail or road while running, but also can double as a light hiker and stylish around town shoe. The CTR Cruise comes in 3 fun colors, we suggest the lime green; looks good even when it is covered with remnants of the trail! For more information, please visit Merrell.com
• M-fit semi-curved gender specific anatomical last
• T-cup slip resistant heel and tongue construction
• nature-Tex™ recycled strobel board
• Outlast® heat management sock liner
• Ortholite® anti-microbial comfort foam sock insert
• DWr treatment provides Durable Water resistance
• ir3™ rubber outsole for durability and traction
• gait-phase (g-pHASe™) midsole cushioning
• QForm® comfort provides women’s specific stride-sequenced cushioning
• g3-pHASe™ provides responsive heel cushioning
• ir1™ Sticky rubber for lateral traction and grip
• Weight: 10.8 ozs. / 306 gm (1/2 pair)