Giro Flare Ski Helmet Review
Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Initial Thoughts on the Giro Flare Ski Helmet
The Flare is by far the lightest, warmest, and safest ski helmet I’ve had a chance to try. I love the Green Shibori color because it’s such a bold statement. When Paired with my Pink Aloha Giro goggles, my husband says he can spot me on the slopes a mile away. Not to mention that the Giro Flare ski helmet is incredibly comfortable.
Technical Features of the Giro Flare Ski Helmet
Giro stepped up its game and produced the the lightest full-featured women’s snow helmet they’ve ever made in the Flare. And as if that wasn’t enough, it also features a sleek and stealthy integrated GoPro® compatible camera mount that allows you to easily attach and remove the POV camera. The Giro Flare Ski Helmet has a low profile, all-mountain design with feminine trim. The detail delivers solid style and proven performance plus it offers seamless compatibility with a variety of Giro goggles, specifically the New Women’s EXV Field goggle in Hawaiian Pink.
Specifications of The Giro Flare Ski Helmet
- CONSTRUCTION: As advertised the Giro in-mold construction fuses the helmet’s outer shell with its impact-absorbing EPS liner during the molding process, making the liner literally a part of the helmet. This process creates a one-piece ‘exoskeleton’ that allows the helmet to be lighter, more durable, and better ventilated than traditional designs.
- DESIGN: Low profile and ultra lightweight (375g).
- FIT SYSTEM: The Roc Loc 5 system provides an entirely unique user experience with an unmatched level of comfort, stability, adjustability and weight savings. With Roc Loc 5, you can easily dial-in both fit tension and adjust vertical position with a single hand. Just twist the dial for a tighter feel on rough terrain, then back it off a notch and relax across the flats or a warm climb. And it’s 40-percent lighter than its popular predecessor, Roc Loc 4.
- MICRO DIAL: A simple, two-finger twist of the Micro Dial opens or closes the retention system and each click is audible.
- THREE POSITION BRACKET: It’s never been easier to change vertical positions and fine-tune fit. Giro incorporated a three-position bracket that features 15-millimeters of up/down movement. Like the Micro Dial, this system can be adjusted without removing the helmet.
- DUAL PODS: These two panels are designed to firmly grasp the back of your head while comfortably cradling the occipital lobe.
- STRAP BASKETS: With Roc Loc 5, the helmet straps are always right where you need them.
- VENTILATION: Super Cool Vents with Thermostat Control, Stack Ventilation. They pull cool, fresh air into the helmet while pushing heat and stale air out. These vents helps to regulate your core temperature to keep you skiing comfortable longer.
- THERMOSTAT VENTILATION CONTROL: allows for custom tune airflow instantly with a simple, low profile control button on the outside of the helmet.
- GOPRO COMPATIBLE: Comes with the GoPro® compatible mounting system.
Although there is no difference between male and female head shapes other than a smaller average size, Giro offers women’s specific models to keep up with the fashion forward kit found on the mountain. Finishing details and a sophisticated color palette set these models apart.
Performance of the Giro Flare Ski Helmet
When skiing in Colorado wearing a helmet is almost a necessity these days. There have been plenty of recent reports of severe head injuries and even fatalities. Don’t be the one on the orange sled that ski patrol is taking down the mountain. Wear your brain bucket!
Now that I have my Giro Flare Ski Helmet, I don’t have any excuses. It also keeps my head nice and toasty without any discomfort whatsoever. I can ski all day without having to re-adjust my straps thanks to the Loc Roc 5 system. The in-mold construction keeps my head warm thanks to the soft cushions that fit perfectly around my head. I normally wear a hat under my ski helmet to help keep the heat in, but not with the Giro Flare Ski Helmet. I don’t need additional coverage as the Flare provides it all. It even has a thermostat ventilation control system. If I ever need to cool off, I can open the vents and let the air flow through. The great thing is that I can do that without having to take my helmet off. The easy to maneuver levers can be opened or closed even while wearing gloves.
The helmet performed very well for my first outing, as it was quite chilly, foggy, and windy. I was buttoned up from head to toe, and all the vents were definitely closed. My head stayed warm throughout the morning. As the sun started to peak through a dissipating cloud cover, the temperature and heat increase was ever present. After a bowl of chili for lunch up on the mountain, it became quite clear that venting had to occur to get some airflow going. I played around a little with the amount of airflow, and settled on about halfway. I forgot about it for the rest of the day, and was able to ski comfortably without any issues.
I love the Green Shibori color of my Giro Flare Ski Helmet! It’s great and better yet it is a great complement to my Pink Aloha Giro Goggles and my purple ski coat. A girl has to match and look stylish on the mountain, don’t you know?
I have Christmas ski trip to Steamboat coming up, and am excited to hit slopes while staying safe, and warm.
Final thoughts on the Giro Flare Ski Helmet
The Giro Flare Ski Helmet is wonderful. It is definitely the lightest and best ski helmet I’ve ever had the chance to put to the test. It’s a bold and sleek design perfect for a day on the mountain. The multiple technical features make the Giro Flare a top of the line ski helmet. From the in-mold construction that makes it fit like a ‘exoskeleton’ to the fit system Roc Loc 5 that adds a superior level of comfort, stability, and adjustability. The ventilation system’s capabilities are an added bonus. Try it out and see for yourself. The Giro Flare Ski Helmet is superior in every way, and is great for skiing and snowboarding. My head never felt safer while being so comfortable.
Colors: Matte Dynasty Green Shibori, Matte Black Geo, Matte Purple, Matte Titanium Geo and White Geo.
Sizes: S (52-55.5cm) & M (55.5-59cm)
For more information on the Flare Ski Helmet and other Giro products please visit: www.amazon.com/giro.