Active Gear Review is supported by its audience. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BagSmart Xpedition 20L
One Bag to Do It All
There are a lot of modular bags aimed at conveniently and comprehensively stashing all kinds of gear, but there are few that are as well suited to cover such a wide spectrum of versatility as the BagSmart Xpedition Backpack. Offering a lot of the same great features you’d expect out of a modular pack, such as the ability to swap out modules on the fly, superb weather protection, and a solid 20 liters of internal volume, this bag also has some neat tricks not typically seen in backpacks. For instance, the modular packages available, which include the Travel Set, Business Set and Photography Set allowing the bag to function as a daypack, work bag, camera pack, and more; there when you need them and removable when you want to cut carry weight.
Bagsmart’s Xpedition backpack is an ergonomic masterpiece that transforms the carrying experience. With its patented “X-frame” system that moves with the body’s center of gravity and a modular system designed to take on the heaviest loads without causing any discomfort, the Xpedition creates flawless balance and weight distribution with a painless, light-as-a-breeze feel. The Xpedition delivers peak functionality without the discomfort associated with common backpacks.
- Fully Modular – Business Set – Travel Set – Photography Set
- Strong X-Frame with Magnets for Modules
- Perfect Weight Distribution
- Fidlock Magnetic Slider Lock
- Ergonomic Soft Back Pad
- Adjustable Shoulder Straps
- Waterproof Material and Zippers
- Secret Back Pocket
- Side Utility Straps
- Bottom Utility Straps
- Size 12.2″ x 19.7″ x 6.1″
- Kickstarter Pricing Starting at $149
For more information on the Xpedition visit Bagsmart.com
Eagle Creek Wayfinder Backpack 40L
Room for Everything
When it comes to durable “keep on going” construction, Eagle Creek bags are hard to beat. With the Wayfinder Backpack 40L that lasting construction is complemented by the functional and comfortable design. The Wayfinder is built for those who can’t leave gear behind. This big pack boasts a generous main compartment with internal storage pockets, a weatherproof zippered back compartment with a padded sleeve for most 17-inch laptops and a front pocket with a drain duct to store wet items separately and allow them to dry. Ergonomically-shaped shoulder straps and a padded back panel provides all day comfort. This pack also features zippered pockets for quick access to essentials, a small fleece lined pocket for sunglasses, zippered side pockets big enough to hold water bottles, gear loops, lash points, and daisy chains for securing items to the outside of the backpack. Practical organization, a durable build and everyday functionality enables this daypack to embrace the daily grind with ease.
The Wayfinder Backpack 40L was designed to hold all of your belongings so you can pick up and go at a moment’s notice. It enables you to connect to your world while exploring another. With pockets for every gadget, you will have everything you need for every situation. It’s an obvious candidate for work, but it’ll also come in handy on those spontaneous weekends spent exploring.
- Hidden pockets along the back panel for all of your electronics like cell phone, power bank, laptop, and cords
- A place to secure your cords against your backpack while you’re listening to music or charging your tablet or phone
- A padded laptop compartment that holds up to a 17” laptop, with an additional tablet sleeve
- Secure Zip Toggle and Central Lock point features enabling you to protect your electronics without the use of a complicated lock
- Water-resistant zippers for weatherproofing all of your valuables
- A front pocket with a drain duct to store wet items separately and allow them to dry
- Ergonomically-shaped shoulder straps and adjustable sternum strap, making it comfortable for both men and women to wear
- Padded back panel for extra comfort
- Safety whistle for emergencies
- Large main compartment with a zippered mesh pocket for organizing small items like pens, keys, and cords
- A fleece-lined pocket to protect your glasses or sunglasses when you’re not wearing them
- Gear loops, lash points, and daisy chains for securing items to the outside of the backpack
- Zippered side pockets big enough to hold water bottles
- Available in blue, green, and black.
- MSRP $129
For more information on the Wayfinder and other Eagle Creek packs, visit backcountry.com/eaglecreek.
Gregory Diode 34L
Take on Any Day
What is great about the Gregory Diode 34L is that it wasn’t built specifically for hiking or for city purposes. Rather, the brand went to great lengths to create a bag that was versatile enough to handle both and to do it superbly. Which means that this bag not only features a handy top-loaded soft touch compartment for fragile tech gear and a floating laptop compartment with a bottom bumper for impact protection, but it also has an internal hydration reservoir sleeve and exit port and so much more. Truly, this is one versatile backcountry to city gear hauler. The Diode is a bag that stands out for the obvious thought and care that went into its design. Available in black, navy and orange, the pack includes a range of features to make carrying gear easier, from great access, to the plush air mesh back panel for all day comfort and support as well as a host of organization options. This multifunctional bag puts versatility front and center, adapting to backcountry adventures and day to day carry needs.
The big Diode offers tons of possibilities, whether you have to carry a full work outfit or a third day’s worth of gear for your long weekend getaway. With organization for class, the office, or just your electronic entertainment needs on a long flight, this 34-liter pack makes stowing and finding every accessory easy, even in mid-sprint. Ventilated shoulder harness straps and back panel padding get you to the lecture hall as well as your lakeside chill spot without breaking a sweat.
- Checkpoint friendly laptop and tablet compartment with zippered clam shell design
- Dedicated 15″ floating laptop compartment bottom bumper for impact protection
- Top quick access pocket with soft-touch liner
- Deluxe organization panel with internal zippered pocket
- Stretch mesh side water bottle pockets
- Reflective accents and light loop for added visibility during nocturnal adventures
- Plush air mesh back panel with dual density foams for all day comfort and support
- Contoured shoulder harness with multi-density construction for ultimate comfort
- Dual side compression straps
- Custom molded zipper pulls
- Removable 1″ webbing waist belt
- Weight: 2.0 lbs.
- Body Dimensions: 19.5″ x 11.5″ x 10.5″
- MSRP $119.95
For more information on the Diode and other Gregory packs, visit gregorypacks.com
OGIO ALPHA Convoy 525
Built for the Long Haul
While its tactical styling isn’t necessarily for everyone, the OGIO ALPHA Convoy 525’s backpack is one of the most durable everyday backpacks. Not only is it made from some supremely tough premium CORDURA® Eco fabric but it also boasts some incredible functionality. Which includes 4 rows of OGIO MOD webbing allowing you to customize the storage and style with a Convoy of compatible MOD Hard Cases or Soft Pouches. The dedicated laptop pocket holds a 15″ computer and contains a separate tablet sleeve which is all protected with a waterproof zipper. The water-resistant pack also provides a mix of internal and external pockets to keep work and everyday carry items tidy. This military esque bag is definitely one to be shouldered, as it fuses durability, urban style and versatility into a design that’s at home on busy city streets but can also roam the great outdoors.
The OGIO ALPHA Convoy 525 Backpack is rugged, durable, and ready for anything. The fully loaded backpack has room for everything you need while keeping you organized on-the-go.
- Premium 600D Cordura® EcoMade polyester body and 1200D Cordura EcoMade bottom. These fabrics have exceptional abrasion resistance, tear strength, and are made from recycled materials
- Adjustable shoulder straps with sternum strap and load lifters Premium YKK zippers and buckles
- Two large volume water bottle pockets
- Back panel security pocket with cord port
- Large zippered top stash pocket
- Front zippered valuable pocket
- Internal zippered small accessory pockets
- Internal organization including key clip
- Side and bottom compression straps
- Padded comfort top handle
- Luggage pass-through
- MSRP $149.99